ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

dv/dvcpro in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris mclaughlindv/dvcpro in after effects
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 8:46:15 pm

Hi I have done some reading on the forums and cannot seem to understand something...It looks like that the only way to import into FCE from AE and NOT have to have FCE render my footage is with the DV/DVCPRO codec in the output module...is this true? I mean 100 percent true?....I have read many things and understand that after effects in no way should be used to final render.....so I have been using the animation codec but always need to render and thats alot of time..I notice a difference in color between the codecs and the file is way smaller than animation file which I know is losing alot of data...I have read that I need the alpha channel to retain transparency and I lose the alpha with DV/DVCPRO..I have alot of motion graphics with transparency and need the alpha channel....is the DV/DVCPRO codec good enough to give a good final output or no? it seems like every other codec tells FCE to render....even the png format(i am on mac) and even uncompressed and even none for compressor settings.. I really dont want to do things that way as to preserve the quality of the media. I am looking to final output on DVD 16:9
any help would be great
thank you much
chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: dv/dvcpro in after effects
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:32:15 pm

[chris mclaughlin] "...I have alot of motion graphics with transparency and need the alpha channel....is the DV/DVCPRO codec good enough to give a good final output or no?"

NO! Neither DV nor DVCPro support Alpha Channels. Animation DOES support Alpha Channels. And for animated lower-thirds, its file size is probably smaller than the other codec that supports alphas, PNG. And as I also like to say, the DV codec treats your carefully-crafted graphics the way a baby treats a diaper.

As an aside: I don't know exactly what you do, but I really think you're missing the boat by using FCE and not FCP. A plus: by upgrading to the latest version of Final Cut Suite, you would gain access to ProRes 4444, which also supports alphas AND works in real time. The downside: you have to have the suite installed on your AE machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: dv/dvcpro in after effects
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:48:30 am

I'll just add a couple things to Dave L.'s good advice. First, applause to you for researching before posting, but you seem to have misunderstood some things you've read ...

[chris mclaughlin] "It looks like that the only way to import into FCE from AE and NOT have to have FCE render my footage is with the DV/DVCPRO codec in the output module...is this true?

No, it isn't true. The way to not have to render between AE and FCP/FCE (or any other NLE software) is to use exactly the same video and audio codecs in both programs ... whether that codec is DV, DVC-Pro, or any other you choose for your needs or preferences.

[chris mclaughlin] "I have read many things and understand that after effects in no way should be used to final render"

That isn't true either. It depends on your needs ... it usually isn't wise to render web video delivery formats from AE since separate media conversion/compression software (Squeeze, Cleaner, Compressor, etc.) does a much better job. However, if you're rendering broadcast media (Uncompressed 8-bit, Uncompressed 10-bit, etc.) and have done everything needed in AE (no need for further compositing, editing, etc.), there's no reason you can't render a final output from AE (with proper codecs, etc.).

Most pro editors I know aren't big fans of DV in general, but if you have to or want to use DV for whatever reason, at least use DV50 instead of DV25. If you're not familiar with the difference, it may beneficial to read up on codecs in general as the subject has become more complicated than ever in recent years. If you search this forum, you'll find tons of posts with useful info. One example directly related to your original question ...

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/200/880078#880088

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]