ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

XDCAM EX is giving me black screen of death. PLEASE HELP!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cynthia Calamug
XDCAM EX is giving me black screen of death. PLEASE HELP!
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:18:03 am

Dear friends,

I want to admit first of all that I don't know very much about the technical side of video stuff (codecs, compression, etc.) I have been using Final Cut Pro for about 6 months and have produced about 20 videos, including this one: http://www.vimeo.com/8941838

I have a laptop (MAC OS X Version 10.5.8, processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 2 GB). I just installed After Effects CS4 on this laptop. I want to be able to work with video (using After Effects) on this laptop.

All my video is shot in XDCAM EX 720p30 (35 Mb/s VBR), Integer (Big Endian).

When I try to open this video on my computer, it just plays a black screen.

I just bought and installed QUICKTIME PRO, but this didn't help at all.

Can someone please tell me how I can make this video work? I would appreciate it very much!

A message said to go here and download the right codec:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html?os=OSX&ctype=696d6...

. . . but this didn't seem to have the right file (unless I am wrong).

PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
Re: XDCAM EX is giving me black screen of death. PLEASE HELP!
on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:49:38 am

If you don't have Final Cut Studio installed on your system, then you probably don't have the correct codec you need to playback these files. That's why you're getting the black screen.

Quicktime Pro won't give you this feature, but Calibrated Software have some software that will let. That is if you don't have the V1.4 of AppleHDVCodec.component, which is automatically installed by FCS.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
& Mocha training for AE & FCP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:43:28 pm

[Cynthia Calamug] " have been using Final Cut Pro for about 6 months... I have a laptop (MAC OS X Version 10.5.8, processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 2 GB). I just installed After Effects CS4 on this laptop. I want to be able to work with video (using After Effects) on this laptop.... All my video is shot in XDCAM EX 720p30 (35 Mb/s VBR), Integer (Big Endian)... When I try to open this video on my computer, it just plays a black screen. "

You will definitely want to get more RAM. 2GB is literally NOTHING in AE-Land.

Consider this: on a 64-bit operating system with two dual-core processors, AE can use 16 GB all by itself, to say nothing of the RAM needed for the operating system and any other applications that run in the background or are still open.

Needless to say, you can't use AE's multiprocessing capabilities. Hey, what do you expect out of a laptop, anyway?

AE requires a different workflow than you're used to using. You will need to capture your video in FCP as ProRes. Then you can use it in AE. There are two reasons, one of which Ben covers. Here's the second:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John O'Brien
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:15:24 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR KINDLY EXPERTISE AND PATIENCE! I really appreciate it!!

Return to posts index

John O'Brien
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:43:11 am

I just tried playing an APPLE INTERMEDIARY CODEC video. It still won't play. Sound plays, but the video is black. :-(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]