ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS4 hang issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee WarnerCS4 hang issues
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:36:50 pm

I have AE CS3 and CS4 on my computer. It's a SuperMicro X7DAL-E MB with 2 Intel Xeon DC5130 CPUs and 4 gb ram. CS3 works fine and I have been using it for most projects because of the problems I have with CS4. CS4 hangs at times after initiating various functions like adding an effect or changing a parameter. There is no pattern to which function or the amount of hang time. I have also had it crash after exiting. It also takes up to 45 sec to initialize the presets when I tab to that window.

The other annoying problem is that when I exit AE CS4 and boot up my NLE software, the computer will hang 50% of the time and require me to reboot. It almost seems like AE CS4 isn't letting go of memory when it closes. CS3 never gives me problems like this in SD or HD projects.

Any ideas of what I can do to possibly improve life with CS4?

Lee
CTV Calgary

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS4 hang issues
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:45:57 pm

[Lee Warner] "Any ideas of what I can do to possibly improve life with CS4? "

The first thing: make sure you have the most recent version, 9.0.2. If you don't, get it. You should see your current version when you click on "About After Effects".

Three other things that will help:
don't use Open GL when rendering...
don't use temporally compressed / long-gop / interframe compressed footage...
and don't use Multiprocessing ("Render multiple frames simultaneously") because you don't have anywhere near enough RAM to take advantage of it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lee WarnerRe: CS4 hang issues
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:06:40 pm

I have the latest version, don't use Open GL, don't use temporally compressed footage, don't use Multi-processing. Like I said, absolutely none of the same issues with CS3.

Anybody else have any solutions?

Lee
CTV Calgary

The first thing: make sure you have the most recent version, 9.0.2. If you don't, get it. You should see your current version when you click on "About After Effects".

Three other things that will help:
don't use Open GL when rendering...
don't use temporally compressed / long-gop / interframe compressed footage...
and don't use Multiprocessing ("Render multiple frames simultaneously") because you don't have anywhere near enough RAM to take advantage of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]