ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

.flv files into After Effects 7..0?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Zelinsky.flv files into After Effects 7..0?
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:29:24 pm

I have After Effects 7.0. I don't see a way to import .flv files. Any advice please? I would be willing to spend a small amount to download something that would allow this, but not a lot.

I already have Creative Suite CS4, Design Premium, so I do have the latest Flash. I tried doing something intermediary in Flash, but couldn't, probably because I really don't know what I'm doing. (I imported the FLV file into Flash (had to make various decisions about embedding or not) and published an SWF file, which seems to be blank when opened in Flash Player, but the accompanying HTML file plays the movie. My After Effects tries to import this SWF file but experiences an error retrieving movie from the file, saying "no quicktime movie found." I tried also to use Flash to export the FLA file as a QuickTime movie, choosing to save the temporary files on disk because the movie is a couple of minutes long. Flash took a few seconds and produced a 4 KB .mov file with nothing in it.)

So if anybody can suggest a simple way to get .flv files into After Effects 7.0, either using Flash or something else, I'd appreciate it a lot.

I tried to look for this question in the forums, but didn't see it. I apologize if it's there and I missed it.

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: .flv files into After Effects 7..0?
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 7:47:55 pm

The free way:

Inside Flash, Import > Import to stage and pick the flv file. Choose "Embed flv in SWF and play in timeline"

Right click and set document properties to the size of your video, move it around if needed so that it fits perfectly in the frame.

Then File > Export > Export movie and choose Quicktime (somehow AVI 24 bit buggy exports are buggy). Set the format to Animation, and store temp on disk.

That should be about it.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Paul ZelinskyRe: .flv files into After Effects 7..0?
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:48:35 am

Thank you a lot, Vince. I realize now that my question belongs in a Flash forum and not After Effects. Though your instructions didn't work for me, they inspired me to keep looking through the various choices and settings, and finally I did something that resulted in a QuickTime movie with content in it.

(Apparently the FLV file was problematic for importing in the way you suggested because it had an audio codec that couldn't be imported, so though the warning suggested that video would come through (all I wanted anyway), nothing ended up on the stage. The Load External Video with Playback Component in Import>Import Video worked, though, at least to the point where publishing a Flash preview worked; and then exporting to QuickTime did nothing until I figured out that I had to check "stop exporting after..." and fill in the exact time of the clip. Now I have a working QuickTime movie and I'm sure After Effects won't have any problem with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved