ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Giving someone a big head

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil BeastallGiving someone a big head
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:36:47 pm

I am trying to create a certain look. We want all our actors to have oursized heads. All our footage is on greenscreen so there is no background to worry about.

At the moment, the way I am doing it is as follows:

1. Stabilise the head in the footage of someone walking from left to right.
2. Cut out the head with a mask.
3. Motion track original footage of actor moving left to right.
4. Apply this motion to the stabilised cutout head so it moves with the character.

Is this the best way to do this trick or is there a better way of doing it? I am having a little difficulty, because as I scale, it reveals the original ear slightly below.

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Giving someone a big head
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:29:04 pm

Roto out the original head.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jay LeviRe: Giving someone a big head
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 1:26:20 pm

let me know how you ended up doing this, of course its been 2 years since this was posted and Adobe CS6 is out now, my new project was doing exactly what you want but spherizing the heads to look like bubbles, problem is CS6 has a bug, whenever i Spherize anything it defaults its position to the center of the screen instead of respecting the timeline automation points i made to fallow the head around or track it.

now this video i am referring to is with music, someone singing, a scene so here i will lay out a basic asset pre post work flow., like alice in wonderland
1-i recorded the characters using green screen, then separately their heads by covering their bodies.
2-I created layers of a scene, both background and anything i want floating in front of the character keying out anything i dont want..
3- i used Adobe premiere and places the music with the 2 beep i also recorded all the videos with the heads syncing them up, one by one i attached their bodies and nested the two videos, big heads over little bodies,
4- after creating a sequence of the scenery and music i placed the nested sequences of the heads and bodies and re sized them into the main sequence aka scene, example outside in a farm etc.

It looked better then anything i ever seen in film or TV but hey, the spherized effect failed to render, it was perfect but when trying to render it would return to its default position in the center, also my 8 point Garbage mattes would expose things i never left exposed, after rendering or exporting the video, every time i would go back to check why it will return to the state i left it which was correct but again and again the BUG with Premiere Pro continued until it crashed and corrupted the file itself so sadly i am also looking for another solution.

FCPX is a joke, UNPROFESSIONAL, no way to nest, oh wait maybe in 2015 or when a competitor who does not go to lunch or bed with the sleezy developers comes along with a better app, regardless of the frustration after buying the Adobe 6 Suite and ending up with this trash i have and will still be looking for a solution, Tricaster for mac? not sure where to start cause i did all the scenery in PS

oh well, ill prepare to bother everyone here and other forums to dig up a solution, but try Premiere pro with photoshop if your syncing with audio, maybe it will work for you cause i used a imac i7 2010

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved