ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha EngelQuality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:00:34 pm

Hi Everybody,

weird situation, I am working on a Promo for a Dance Company - the Footage was shot on DVX100B in Progressive Mode - DV-PAL. When I work in FCP with the material it just looks fine. When I import the Master QuickTime clips to AE - the footage looks very digital blocky in the Viewer, even though the preview is set to Best.
Any idea where that could come from? Never experienced that before.

Thanx.

Greetz,
Sascha

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:11:06 pm

a) Interpret the footage and make sure that field separation is off.
b) Pixel aspect ratio correction (in the comp window) can sometimes pixellate things. Switch it off if it bothers you, but it won't affect the render.

Did either of those work?

Return to posts index

Sascha EngelRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:51:18 pm

...That is what I call a quick response ;-)
Yes, the Intepretation is on OFF concerning the Field Interpretation.
I toggled already the Aspect Ratio correction as well - it did help a bit - still looked much worse quality than in FCP.

Really weird!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:21:04 pm

Gpt a screenshot of the ugly shot in the AE UI, also showing the data for the clip as seen up in the Project window?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:51:47 am

HI Steve,

here are the ScreenShots.

Sascha

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:58:17 am

And here the clip info:

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:59:24 am

I did it in a rush for the screen capture - on the pics you see, the Interpret footag was set to Fields 'Off'

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:41:07 pm

Re-interpet the footage, Sascha. (file>interpret footage>main)

That image says that you're separating fields (lower first). Separating fields for progressive footage messes it up.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:42:23 pm

Never mind. Looking for a new answer ...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:30:58 pm

[Sascha Engel] "When I import the Master QuickTime clips to AE..."

How are you doing that? Double click on the clips and hit export? Export from the timeline? Import the clips in the project's Capture Scratch folder into AE?

How do the exported clips look in the QT Player, not in FCP or AE?

Do you have a codec mismatch between footage and edit timeline in FCP?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:48:45 am

Hi Dave,

good to hear from you again :-) We still need magic wands here in the Middle East, but for now I've that problem:

1.) I import the MAster Cleip (whole Tape) from mthe FCP folder 'Capture Scratch'

2.) The footage was captured in FCP the right way and is interpretated good in AE - DV-Pal/Widescreen Progressive Field off

3.) When I set the quality in the QT Player to High, it looks in the QT as fine as in FCP

I will post ScreenShots now.

Thanx, Dave.

Sascha

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:44:39 pm

If the comp window is set to anything other than 100%, the video won't look optimal.

Can you show us a screenshot of the entire AE UI, with the ugly clip in the comp window?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 2:07:50 pm

Here it is

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:08:01 pm

You have the pixel aspect ratio correction turned on. This will show you the image in the correct aspect ratio but it makes it look rough.

PAL footage uses non-square pixels. When viewed on a TV each pixel is wider than it is tall. If you view those pixels on a computer monitor, which uses square pixels, you image will look slightly squashed width ways. This is ok becasue the pixels haven't actually changed, just how they are being displayed. The pixel aspect ratio correction feature in AE and Photoshop stretches the image back out to simulate how it will look on a TV, but it does a rough job of it.

I would never work with it switched on, just toggle it on to check things then switch it off again. To switch it off click the icon that has the square with the double ended arrow above (to the right of the drop down that says '1 view').

This will show you the raw pixels.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:32:22 pm

Thanx for the advice. I did that also, but it just got a bit better. Still looked much worse than in the Canvas in FCP. Why FCP and QT shows the image in such higher quality than AE? I am really surprised about that.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progrssive
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:52:37 pm

Oh. There's no problem with the way AE is looking at your footage. You simply have to get used to it.

This is anamorphic footage. The pixels are supposed to be wide. But AE is most comfortable displaying square pixels.

I see that you have discovered the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window. When you toggle it on, it's the footage is the proper width, but the pixels look rough. When you toggle it off, the pixels look smooth, but the footage looks narrow.

This is normal, and when AE is done rendering, the footage will be fine.

I'm more worried about the horrible lighting on that green screen. It's difficult enough to do a good chroma key using DV, but bad lighting makes it even worse.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progressive
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:57:41 pm

[Sascha Engel] "1.) I import the MAster Cleip (whole Tape) from mthe FCP folder 'Capture Scratch' "

Unless you shot a live, one-time-only performance, there is NO REASON to capture an entire tape. That's just the lazy man's way to get out of the discipline of Log & Capture.

You spend MUCH more time simply looking for tiny little sections of video on a big, long tape than you would ever spend by using proper Log & Capture practices. You would also need less storage, because you will have gotten rid of the bad takes and extraneous video. Finally, if you ever have to come back to this project in the future, you will have a much harder time finding the footage you need to make revisions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sascha EngelRe: Quality Issue when Importing DV-Pal Progressive
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:22:09 am

HI Dave,

thanx for all the advice. Guess that is how AE shows it then, just surprised about that FCP shows it so much better.

For the Green Screen lighting: We had amazing lights on the set. The GS is something I came up with the last second - so we had just 10min to build it and the lights there were lousy. The result with Keylight is pretty decent though. I will show you the final clip

For the capturing - Yes I use most of the tape and log and capturing each clip seperatly is something I used to do.
I figured out that I work much faster, loading the whole tape (also better for the DV Deck - not always play and stop) and then I create Sub-Clips. At the end I trim the footage with the Media Manager to the Actual footage I need - for me goes a lot faster than the other way - and I tried both.

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]