ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duik - setting up 3-point IK with a precomp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael FallikDuik - setting up 3-point IK with a precomp?
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:27:37 am

I just found this amazing IK rigging script for doing character animation in AE called Duik.

The tool is fantastic, however, I'm rigging a character now that I'd like to have animatable fingers and toes. I created my puppet in Photoshop, where I made a group folder for the "hand" - which includes a palm layer and 5 finger layers.

Using Duik in AE, I want to set the "hand" precomp as my extremity for a 3-point IK. I set the pivot point for the group to be at the base of the wrist. Then I selected my hand, forearm, upperarm, and hand controller and created an IK relationship.

However, when I move the controller, the hand layer goes flying off the wrist and starts doing curlicues through the air. Interesting, but not exactly what I'm going for.

I tried again, this time just using a single layer for the hand. No problem, everything works great. But when I tried going back in to add the fingers, the hand flies off again.

Anyone know how to set up the rig so that I can have an IK relationship controlling the hand-forearm-upperarm, and an FK relationship for the fingers?

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Duik - setting up 3-point IK with a precomp?
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:35:01 pm

Curious why you're not talking to the developer of the tool.
I know of only a few men and women around here who have ever worked on any kind of inverse kinematic projects and even fewer who have discussed it here even thought there are supposed to be improved IK functions in CS4. Those folks tend to hang out on character animation forums.

I hope you figure it out but I'm suggestion you should be checking on those sites.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved