ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animation vs DVCPRO HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxime Marquis
Animation vs DVCPRO HD
on Jan 24, 2010 at 9:45:14 pm

Hi, I mainly use DVCPRO HD footage in AE.

My question is: is it better to export using animation format than DVCPRO HD, knowing I'll go back to FCP and edit the footage in a DVCPRO HD timeline?

I tried exporting using animation format a few times, but the motion looked jerky, maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Animation vs DVCPRO HD
on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:22:26 pm

> I tried exporting using animation format a few times, but the motion looked jerky, maybe I did something wrong.

Did the motion just look jerky in QuickTime Player? You can't expect intermediate formats (with their huge data rates) to play back smoothly like distribution formats. Your hard drive, the decoder, and other aspects of the system may just be struggling to keep up when playing the movie back. This is a non-issue when you're using the movie as a source in an editing application, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:46:20 pm

I render out of AE (picky, picky) to the Animation codec, then use Quicktime Player to export that clip to DVCPROHD for FCP editing.

Rendering to DVCPROHD straight out of AE has resulted in less-than-optimal clips for me. (shrug)

Return to posts index

Maxime Marquis
on Jan 25, 2010 at 12:17:37 am

Thanks for your quick reply.

Steve, I'll try to render out of AE the way you do it.

Max

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]