COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Maier
Resolution of 3D Precomp
on Jan 23, 2010 at 12:17:09 pm

Hey there!

My AE skills arent that good. My project has the following structure:
Main Comp (containing a camera)
>> precomp1 (3d switched on in main comp)
>> precomp2 (scaled to 10% in precomp1)

All comps are in HD-Resolution.

At first camera is set to show the whole precomp1 (zoom=1). Now the camera shall zoom in and show the whole precomp2 (zoom=10). But precomp2 isnt shown at full resolution but rather in tenth of HD-resolution.
I tried to change the resolution of precomp1 to 10*HD and scale it down to 10% in the main comp. This works fine but the rendering time grows to 4 hours.

Is there another way to do the trick?

Thanks alot!

Return to posts index

Peter Maier
Re: Resolution of 3D Precomp
on Jan 23, 2010 at 5:11:10 pm

Sorry, but spaces were deleted in my first post. The structure is
Main Comp
>> precomp1
>> >> precomp2

So precomp1 contains precomp2.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd Kopriva
on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:28:48 pm

Read this page about collapsing transformations. It should help you to understand what's going on and how to address it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Peter Maier
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:37:58 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have already read this artikle but somehow im not able to mange the collapse transformations for 3d precomps.
I already tested the behaviour of collapse transformations on 2d layers/precomps and this works perfect. I switched collapse transformations on in a comp by clicking on the icon next to the precomp containing it.
But if i click on the collapse transformation icon of a 3d precomp its not acting like a 3d layer anymore.
A solution seems to put the camera into the precomp itsself. But i need the camera to be in the maincomp.

Thanks for helping :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:04:10 pm

[Peter Maier] "....precomp2 isnt shown at full resolution but rather in tenth of HD-resolution.
I tried to change the resolution of precomp1 to 10*HD and scale it down to 10% in the main comp. This works fine but the rendering time grows to 4 hours. "

Ah, a clue. It could very well be the nature of the footage you're using; the render time is a dead giveaway:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]