ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen LubinAE to FCP
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 5:23:30 am

Lately I've been having trouble going between FCP and AE. I do all of my effects in AE, so when I bring the footage in and render it out of AE in lossless quality and bring it into FCP and render the final product from there, the scenes that had AE work aren't top notch quality. Does anyone know how to go about this without loosing quality between the two programs?

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: AE to FCP
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 5:41:02 am

Try rendering out Quicktime Animation files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE to FCP
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 10:22:07 pm

...and don't EVER expect those little pea-shooter FCP viewers to give you an accurate idea of video quality. Not Never. You MUST have a video monitor to judge the quality of your image. That's the way FCP works.

I don't care if the stuff already in your FCP edit timeline looks great but the AE footage looks lousy, you CAN NOT TRUST THE FCP VIEWERS.

If all you have is a laptop or something, you can always burn a DVD and play it on your TV set, but that's a pain.

The drop in quality may also be due to something like DV or HDV. If you're editing in those, that's pretty much th kiss of death if you re-render. FCP re-renders in the codec of the edit timeline, and both DV and HDV treat nice, clean graphics from AE the way a baby treats a diaper.

The fix: duplicate your current FCP edit timeline, put your AE renders in the duplicated timeline, and then change its codec to ProRes before you render the clips.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved