ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 configuration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave SpoonerAfter Effects CS4 configuration
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:03:46 pm

I've got AE CS4 installed on two computers and I am seeing some very weird discrepencies in the way these two computers run After Effects. I have a laptop (Dell E6400 2.26ghz Core2Duo, 2gb RAM, 160gb 7200rpm HD, Intel GMA4500, Windows XP 32-bit) and a desktop (2.4ghz Core2Quad Q6600, 4gb RAM, 1.2tb RAID, Radeon 4850, Windows 7 64-bit).

But my laptop seems to run After Effects much more smoothly and responsively while working within the composition, which doesn't make much sense. Both computers have the default configuration, with the exception of where the scratch disks are located. Rendering speed is about the same on both computers.

The average CPU usage I see on my Laptop while working is about 60%, while the average CPU usage I see on my desktop is about 26%!!

How come my quad core desktop doesn't blow the crap out of my little laptop? Do I have something misconfigured?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects CS4 configuration
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:53:03 pm

Just a shot in the dark:

Do you use a Wacom tablet with your desktop computer?

Adobe and Wacom have identified a problem with some Wacom drivers that cause performance problems in After Effects. I've come to realize lately that quite a few complaints about poor performance are related to this driver problem.

Here's an After Effects Community Help search that pulls up some threads about this.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved