ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering pain

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam McEwen
Rendering pain
on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:48:36 pm

Hi, I am putting together my showreel in AE and my renders keep on failing. PC specs below.

I began thinking it was because of some kind of ram issue and have tried the secret prefs purge option described in various past posts, trying everything down to 1 frame, with no effect*. So I rendered what I could expecting to be able to assemble all of the bits in one final comp and render them off free from heavy effects and memory issues and have now managed to get to the point where all I need to render are the resulting chunks of mov files and tiff sequences.

However my problem still persists. I thought it was perhaps the fact that a mov file I am trying to render failed and so is corrupt but I have a screen grab of my render queue, timeline and error msg which shows that each time the render fails at exactly the same frame. Easy you think, theres an effect, layer or corrupt mov coming in at that frame which is causing the problem. Unfortunatly thats not the case, the mov has been rendered and no new layers come in at the offending frame as you can see from the screen grab. I can assure you that no effects whatsoever have been added to any of the layers in the comp so this too can be ruled out. I rendered the first 2 in the queue as uncompressed movs and the third as an avi. I am currently rendering again to see if the log can tell me anything.
renderwindow.jpg

If anyone can offer any tips to deal with this frustrating issue it would be very much appreciated and would save my computer from ending up on the driveway below my window ;-)

Im on a 32bit Vista laptop, Intel core 2 duo, 2.20GHz, 4GB RAM, Rendering to a decent external HD with tonnes of free space.

*I understand this menu is hidden because the options slow rendering down as you would expect a purge to do, however after every say 10 frames if this is what i had entered in the box I wouldnt see any pause while frames were purged, is this normal? Maybe this is where my problem lies?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering pain
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:03:58 pm

If this was made up out of archived footage, I'll take a guess that it's your footage:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam McEwen
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:09:03 pm

As you can see on the screen grab there are two visible layers, the first is an uncompressed mov, and the second is a tiff seq so no compression there. Could you advise me atall on any settings you would tweak in the memory prefs?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:15:05 pm

[Adam McEwen] "As you can see on the screen grab there are two visible layers, the first is an uncompressed mov, and the second is a tiff seq so no compression there"

Then try the usual litany of common AE fixes: turn off Open GL for Rendering, and turn off multiprocessing ("render multiple frames simultaneously") if you have 6 GB RAM or less. If you have more than 6 GB on a 64-bit OS, you should read this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:34:31 pm

[Adam McEwen] "Rendering to a decent external HD with tonnes of free space. "

You're getting a write error, so I'm guessing it's not actually a RAM problem. I'll hazard a wild guess: is your drive formatted FAT32, and your render failing when the movie hits the 4GB mark?

If that's the case, you could either render to an image sequence, or convert the drive to NTFS.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Adam McEwen
on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:50:26 am

Thankyou Walter, it sounds as if you have hit the nail on the head. My drive is FAT32 and yes each file ends up as 3.99Gb (should have spotted that one!). I'l get to looking in to sorting this out and i'l post to let you know how i get on.

Thanks again for all the help

Return to posts index

Adam McEwen
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:02:57 am

Brilliant, thanks Walter your solution worked a dream. I rendered to a different drive which was NTFC. Thanks for your helpfull advice Dave too.

Now to reformatting my drive.

Adam

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:36:30 pm

[Adam McEwen] " I rendered to a different drive... Now to reformatting my drive."

Adam, I'm glad to hear my suggestion worked.

There's no need to reformat your disk. Windows can convert a FAT16 or FAT32 disk to NTFS non-destructively. Just a note -- once you convert to NTFS, you cannot convert it back to FAT; if you wanted to make the disk FAT again, you'd have to reformat.

Just open a command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and enter the following:

convert Z: /fs:ntfs

Of course, change the drive letter as necessary on your specific system.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Adam McEwen
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:12:24 pm

So is this safe to do? Would it be wise to back everything on the drive up or would that not be needed?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:16:16 pm

[Adam McEwen] "So is this safe to do? Would it be wise to back everything on the drive up or would that not be needed?"

Well.... it's always wise to back up everything on the drive, but I've never seen a problem with convert myself.

Here's the Microsoft support article for more information.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]