ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

anti-aliasing text issues h264

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Goetzanti-aliasing text issues h264
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:43:22 pm

evenin' COWS

I'm running into an issue when it comes time to render text. The ultimate goal is a DVD, which is a break from what is mostly web based stuff for me.

My pipeline calls for rendering as quicktime animation, and then compressing to H264 in Adobe Media Encoder.

I have titles using red and white. Red caps for headlines, plain white text for main copy.

What's happening is that when it comes time to run through AME, all of the red text becomes extremely crunchy, and the white text remains the same.

Now I've tried a number of things which include:
  • Larger font size - not as bad, but still not as crisp as the white text 40px smaller
  • Alternative fonts - using foundry monoline regular, but was the case for any font
  • No caps - same issue
  • Different color - same issueRendering straight from AE (conventional wisdom tells me this is no better) - as assumed, no difference
  • Various Gaussian blur levels - now just blurry and jagged.
  • Different render settings - I've tried H264 blu-ray, Mpeg2, avi and all seem to yield the same results.
  • Different field settings - no joy!

I'm truly stumped at this point and unfortunately most of my contacts are also web-based so the technical knowledge of the ins and outs of dvd-authoring/compression are limited. Is this a resolution issue? All of the footage was shot in HD, but actual footage being scaled is at an acceptable quality, it's the colored text only that's the issue.

Any leads?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: anti-aliasing text issues h264
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:58:47 pm

Aaaahhhh, you're bumping into a fact of TV life that no web guy ever has to ponder: illegal video and chroma levels for TV!

Change your white text to 234/234/234 RGB, and your red text to a maximum 234/0/0 RGB, and everything will be fine. Don't worry, it'll look fine once it gets to DVD. And no, there isn't a workaround.

AE has some sort of Broadcast Colors effect which is intended to do the trick, but it does NOT work well. I tried it fifteen years ago, scrutinized the result, grunted, and forgot about it. Use it if you like to re-do your work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: anti-aliasing text issues h264
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:04:27 am

I would bolster my red text, IF I NEEDED it and it was somewhat bold in a deeper\safe color shade of red.
Many times it looks nice and 'contains' your edge integrity as well.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved