ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate illustrator-objects in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth TolaasAnimate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:08:10 am

Hello, we have got a new logo for our Arabic TV-channel, and I want to animate the blue lines flying around the text.

I guess the lines have to straighten out at the top and bottom, and be more curved at the edges.

Has anyone got some tips on how to do this, and make it look good..?

If it is hard to do with the illustrator masks, can the blue lines be re-made in AE and more easy be animated then..?

Thanks for any help,

-Kenneth Tolaas

Return to posts index

Juan A. Ibarra PeinadoRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:05:38 pm

Yo bro, try use trapcode particular to create the two lines and anime it easy with it, use this tecnic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1KjdSRGPOE)for a rly nice effect.

Hope this helps you bro.

CÁMERA: JVC GYHD251+BR-HD100
VTR: JVC BR-HD50
CAPTURE PLAYBACK: BLACKMAGIC MULTIBRIDGE PRO
COMPUTER: I7

Return to posts index

Juan A. Ibarra PeinadoRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:07:28 pm

Yo bro, try use trapcode particular to create the two lines and anime it easy with it, use this tecnic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1KjdSRGPOE)for a rly nice effect.

Hope this helps you bro.

CÁMERA: JVC GYHD251+BR-HD100
VTR: JVC BR-HD50
CAPTURE PLAYBACK: BLACKMAGIC MULTIBRIDGE PRO
COMPUTER: I7

Return to posts index

Kenneth TolaasRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:10:19 pm

Thanks, but I do not really have trapcode particular.

Would be easiest if there is some other way..?

Thanks again,

-Kenneth

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:19:15 pm

You can copy paths from Illustrator and paste them into After Effects as masks which can then be animated.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:22:52 pm

Trapcode is a complete waste of money on this simple project.
Just copy the Illustrator paths and paste them into your AE comp as masks.
You will want to study up on how to setup AI to export the paths properly and how to use paths as masks in AE. It's all in the manual and on Todd's community help search system.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Jon GeddesRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:30:26 pm

CC Particle World could be used just as easily as Trapcode Particular on this project, and likely give better results than an animated mask.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Bob RootRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:31:39 pm

Hi Kenneth,

I would start by rebuilding your curved lines.

As you did before... build one in Illustrator, except this time build it along a circular (not oval) arc.

When you bring the Illustrator file into your AE comp, adjust your anchor point for the curved line layer. If your layer size is (for example) 500x480, you'll want your anchor point x=500,y=480.

Turn on 3D for your curved line layer and duplicate it.

Rotate your duplicated layer 180 for x and 180 for y.

Add a null object to your composition and parent your two curved line layers to the null. Turn on 3D for your null.

You can now rotate your null on the x axis to "compress" shape of your arc.

Rotating the null on it's z axis should now give you the result you are looking for.

You may have to tweak the thickness of your shape in Illustrator to get it just right.

I've included a AE CS4 file for reference.

Hope this helps.

Bob

493_aepath.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:40:10 pm

thats the kind of answers we like.. =)

I havent used 3d before, but I will try your recipe, and see if I can make it work..

-Kenneth

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:42:07 pm

I made it work quite well, but when I turn around the blue lines with 3d, they are totally flat, is there a way to make them thicker, to make them 3d as well, I guess it would be..?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animate illustrator-objects in AE
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:50:50 pm

You can do as Jon Geddes suggested and use CC Particle World or, as has been mentioned previously Trapcode's Particular.

Or you can duplicate your animated layer 10-20 times and offset each layer by a pixel on the z-axis.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:08:52 pm

oh, I did not notice the mention of CC Particle world. I'll see if I can make it work.

otherwise I'll consider buying some Particular some day...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:40:05 pm

[Kenneth Tolaas] "I made it work quite well, but when I turn around the blue lines with 3d, they are totally flat, is there a way to make them thicker, to make them 3d as well, I guess it would be..?
"

Hmm, another goo reason to open the manual.
There is no depth in AE's 3D objects because it is not really a 3D application.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:39:10 pm

[Kenneth Tolaas] "hats the kind of answers we like.. =)

I havent used 3d before, but I will try your recipe, and see if I can make it work..
"

That's not an answer, it's a recipe for frustration and disaster. If you cannot figure out how to import and use AI paths as masks, you cannot hope to tackle a 3D project.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:42:23 pm

[Kenneth Tolaas] "and I want to animate the blue lines flying around the text.
"

What exactly does that mean, "flying around?"
Why would anyone suggest Trapcode or Particle World to make a couple of shapes fly around? why would anyone suggest 3D?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:51:05 pm

The reason for the 3D suggestion is that the shapes need to rotate on an oval path. This can be achieved by turning the shapes into 3D layers, then rotating them slightly on the x-axis.

Imagine looking straight at a perfect circle, then rotating it on the x-axis. From the front perspective, it becomes an oval.

Now back to my suggestion... using CC Particle World. You could create the blue streaks with particles (no velocity, high particles per second, and scale down over time). With particles, the streaks become 3D and the logo can be viewed from any angle. You also have much more flexibility with special effects when using particles if he wanted to spice up the animation at all.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:58:31 pm

Wow...

You seem pretty bitter David.

Before you go tossing out insults to responders in this forum you might want to take a closer look at what Kenneth is trying to achieve.

No need to be rude.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:03:18 pm

Im just happy that I'm living in Europe, so hopefully no one will kill me today...

I appreciate all help and emotions that are put into this mystery.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:38:38 pm

Hi again Kenneth,

Here's something that should work a little easier.

I attached another project for reference.

For the Precomp Swishes, you're basically following my earlier post up to (but not including) the rotation of the null on it's x-axis. From there, you can keyframe a z-axis rotation on the null.

After that, I dragged Precomp Swishes into a new comp (Final Comp) and scaled down the Precomp Swishes layer on the y-axis.

Doing it this way will help you avoid 3D z-space issues such as intersecting planes. It also ensures that your swish images will stay the same size as they spin.

Hope this makes better sense.

494_aepath2.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:43:37 pm

Hello again. Your project worked very well, bob, it was easier to understand now, and I can make it go around the text well.

What would be nice was if I could make lines not only go 2d around the text, but also closer to and further away from the camera, in front of and behind the text.

I tried to put the cc particle effect directly on the "line-layer" from illustrator, but gravity made it a bit wrong when upside-down, and also if I tilt it on the z-axis(?) the layer disappears/becomes totally flat at one point.

My question would be if it is possible to add the producer point for particles to the corner of one the other layers in bob's comp, and keep its 3d, and not become 2d-flat when rotating..?

Another thought - is it possible to set the cc particle producer point to a mask path..?
If I could then make the producer point follow a circular/oval mask path, and then 3d-animate the mask-layer..?
parenting, pick whip, something like that..?

I tried to set keyframes for the producer point position in cc particle, but no good results.
I also tried searching for cc particle tutorials, but I could not find much. Any good tips?

Thanks,
-Kenneth

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 3:10:01 pm

Follow Andrew Kramer's tutorial here on creating the particles, and mapping it to a null object (making it much easier to control):

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_stroke_effect/

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 6:40:28 pm

Thanks a lot. I wouldnt have figured out all that expression-things in my lifetime.

I havent got it right yet, but I think I'll go through some old total training dvd's about 3d, and see if I get some basic knowledge.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your help =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]