ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't Seem To Install Plugins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonCan't Seem To Install Plugins
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:41:09 am

This is the second plugin I've gotten from the Internet that I can't get to show up.

The first one came from Maltaanon.com, a very reliable source. The second one came from the Andrew Davidson site on adobe.com:

http://www.adobe.com/products/plugins/aftereffects/

I can't get it to show-up either.

Is there something really basic that I'm missing? It just seems like a joke everytime instructions say "just put it in the folder and restart" cuz, well, it never shows up.

Is this common or is the a simple solution to this, it's hindering my ability to improve as a designer.

Thanks for any help! :)

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Can't Seem To Install Plugins
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:36:42 pm

I'm not sure this will solve your issue, but may at least be helpful to know ...

AE Flame is a very old AE plugin so, although I haven't tried using it with CS3 or CS4, and despite the fact that all of Adobe's current web pages include references to the currently available versions of its products (CS4), I wouldn't be surprised at all if Flame just doesn't work in v8 or v9 since AE's core coding seems to have changed significantly since the version Flame was written for, which I believe was AE v5.

About the general issue of installing plugins, make sure you follow each plugins' installation instructions explicitly (make sure you're putting it in the right folder, if that's all the install requires).

Also, on any topic, it's much harder to get help when you don't include relevant info (platform, version, O/S, etc.). In this case, the folder plugins go in differs among platforms and O/S ... and, whether the plugin works depends on version and system requirements.

By the way, in my humble opinion, lack of third-party plugins doesn't at all affect one's ability to improve as a designer ... in most cases, plugins only affect a designer's ability to do things he/she has already learned to do the hard way a little faster.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can't Seem To Install Plugins
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:41:26 pm

This may simply not work with your version of AE.

I took my hint from the following notice on the AE Flame page:"Note: Requires After Effects 4 or higher."

AE is up to version NINE. I don't think this plugin has been updated in a very long time. Sorry about dashing your hopes of improving.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't Seem To Install Plugins
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:57:34 pm

I just tried AEFlame in After Effects CS4, and it didn't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Can't Seem To Install Plugins
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:10:14 pm

My thing is that I have a feeling this won't be the last failed attempt that I try to install that doesn't cost $$$.

Part of it might be that I'm still on CS3, but...I don't know. Maltaannon's Custom Effects should work on CS3 for mac but don't install either.

Just kind of odd. Wish I knew the guts of what's going on so I could troubleshoot the issue. Right now it's like read the directions, inserting a key, pushing a button and expecting a result. Beyond that there's not much I understand in order to troubleshoot.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:27:49 pm

Maltaannon's custom effects aren't plug-ins, and they aren't installed like plug-ins. In fact, to be blunt, the installation process for custom effects is so cumbersome that I don't recommend them to anyone but advanced users. Adobe never really intended for regular end users to go through this process; if people want to hack to use these, that's great, but it's not really a supported end-user feature.

The tutorial that accompanies this custom effect is the only place where I've ever seen anyone do a good job of explaining how to install them.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:16:40 pm

Oh right, Presets. Not Plugins.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I understand.

I'm familiar with code to a degree but I guess it's a real challenge to get that stuff to work. But just like anything, I follow the directions. If it doesn't work...Beats me. :)

I just hope this doesn't persist. I would think extensions of any kind would be uniform from one AE version to the next etc. But I guess the importing technology has changed. ?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:21:55 pm

> I'm not sure what the difference is, but I understand.

animation presets

plug-ins

scripts

link to an article that defines each

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:24:42 pm

Cool, thanks Todd! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]