ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Outputing from FCP using Prores to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Brough
Outputing from FCP using Prores to After Effects
on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:24:50 pm

Hi all, I am working on a show which has been shot on HDV and we need to output sequences from Final Cut Pro 7 for After effects. Is the best codec to use Prores 422 or would I be better off using Prores 422 HQ or Prores 4444? Or is there something which would be better than any of these?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Outputing from FCP using Prores to After Effects
on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:48:14 pm

ProRes 422 is just fine. The only reason to use ProRes 4444 would be if you wanted transparency, because it supports alpha channels.

I'm curious what you intend to use when you render out of AE. You make it sound like you've already shot and edited this project in HDV. It's too bad you didn't capture the video in ProRes right at the beginning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Brough
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:09:12 pm

Hi thanks for getting back to me so quickly. This project is a graphics heavy television show. It has been shot and is being edited in HDV as far as I know. I have had not control over the shooting side of it and have almost no experience in FCP, I tend to use After effects and Maya, so I am pretty green when it comes to the best ways to shoot footage. I do know it is being shot using Sony Z 7 cameras and its being shot in true progressive. If we captured the video in prores would it make for much bigger file sizes?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:42:21 pm

[Phil Brough] "If we captured the video in prores would it make for much bigger file sizes?"

I don't know how much bigger, but yes: they'd be bigger. However, since you say this is a graphics-heavy show, you could then capture in ProRes, Edit in ProRes, do your AE work in ProRes, and render in ProRes... and everything looks great. HDV does NOT hold up well under recompression.

You would also be able to use Automatic Duck ($500) to get FCP edit timelines quickly and easily into AE... not a small consideration with a series of shows. Since you're cutting in HDV, and AE absolutely hates HDV and will not play nicely with it, that's not an option.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Phil Brough
on Jan 19, 2010 at 12:17:40 am

Hi thanks for clarifying all of that. Its good to know for future projects.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:39:21 pm

Automatic Duck could still be an option, but to avoid HDV as Dave says, you'd need to use FCP's Media Manager to transcode the project to ProRes, and then Duck the new, media-managed project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Phil Brough
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:03:59 am

Is it possible to output quicktimes from After Effects on a PC using prores 422 HQ or do I need a a Mac with FCP installed to do this? I hope not.

Return to posts index

Phil Brough
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:29:09 am

Is there anyway I can output from After Effects on a PC using prores 422 HQ? Or do I need a Mac with FCP installed?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:00:01 pm

[Phil Brough] "Is there anyway I can output from After Effects on a PC using prores 422 HQ? Or do I need a Mac with FCP installed?"

Sorry, no. ProRes HQ is a codec exclusive to machines running Final Cut Suite 3. In Windows-land, you'd have to render to either the Animation or PNG codecs. They're lossless, which is good, but the file sizes are bigger than ProRes, which is not so good.

It makes you want to lock the heads of Microsoft and Apple in a room and tell them, "You can't come out until you play nice together!"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Phil Brough
on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:05:45 am

Hi thanks for that and sorry about the double post. I think I will render my After effects clips out using animation at highest settings. At least then I can keep the sizes down a little.
The Apple Microsoft thing is really annoying, does it just mean Apple will have more of a strangle hold on people who want to use FCP?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]