ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

pixelated dip to black

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff jagerpixelated dip to black
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 8:30:38 pm

I have animated a title sequence in after effects. The backdrop for the animation is a photoshop image. I've placed a dynamic link to this animation in premiere. When I render, all of my fades render fine except for the fade in and fade out for the dynamic link. I've got a dip to black on either side of the link in premiere. It renders with odd pixelated patterns as if the dpi was set to 10 but only in random parts of the frame. I'm rendering mpg2 for DVD. I've tried everything I can think of but the quality is so bad for these transitions. When I render a quicktime it looks nice but as soon as I turn that to mpg2 it looks horrible. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: pixelated dip to black
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:28:35 pm

Forget about dpi. It has nothing to do with video. What you're probably seeing are compression artifacts.
Don't render to mpeg from AE. There are much better tools for that. Specifically Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze, or Apple Compressor.

Return to posts index

jeff jagerRe: pixelated dip to black
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:00:29 pm

Thanks Joey. I actually rendered from premiere because the animation was placed as a dynamic link. In premiere I rendered via the adobe media encoder. This is what is producing the artifacts. How can I get rid of the compression artifacts using the media encoder?

By the way, do Sorenson or apple work better than the adobe media encoder?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: pixelated dip to black
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 12:15:29 am

Please let us know exactly which settings you're using in Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: pixelated dip to black
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:37:13 pm

[jeff jager] "...I've placed a dynamic link to this animation in premiere..."

Y'know, you might be better off simply rendering the animation in AE, then importing it into Premiere. I'm not sold that Dynamic Link is 100% bulletproof.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:05:37 pm

Thanks Dave.
I have tried rendering in AE and then importing because I suspected that the dynamic link feature was causing it. However it does the same thing either way. It's got to be a compression artifact. I am new to this and just learned about compression artifacts today so I don't know how to fix it.

any ideas?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: pixelated dip to black
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 12:08:39 am

I'm not super experienced with optimising compression myself, but one option may be to add a bit of noise to the black - my understanding is that the compression is introduced to save space/speed, by looking at areas that seem similar and lumping them together. So as it approaches black, it may look at pixels that are very similar and just "call" them all black... so you see chunky blocks where it is compressed together. By adding some noise, you are forcing it to render the pixels as they are, which will increase size but keep more detail.

Of course, then you have noise in your black which may not be what you want either. Not sure how much you'd need to use, too.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: pixelated dip to black
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 6:18:02 am

Jeff, try rendering your video out using Quicktime Animation and see what it does.

http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:18:17 pm

Hey Scott,

Quicktime looks very smooth. Can I use a quicktime in encore? will that have to compress to mpeg2 for the dvd?

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]