ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pan through panorama

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Coen de Jong
Pan through panorama
on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:28:36 am

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum. Been reading for a while, but now i've come across a problem that I can't seem to get figured out.

Here's what I would like to do. When filming a static shot, such as a room or an interior I'm always faced with the problem of dynamic range. Either my windows get blown out of my subject (the interior) gets underexposed. I would love to have more details of the room, to make for a much more revealing and interesting shot.

Now I was thinking: wouldn't it be fun to capture a HDR panorama photo of the interior with a photocamera and than animating a realistic pan across that photo.

Now I've done some research on the subject matter. There's already somebody out there who has made a youtube video on the matter, using Maya instead of after effects. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrsL4SV4abI)

He projects photo's of his panorama onto planes and arranges them in a 180 degree circle. When the camera pans around, it creates a realistic motion across the planes.

Now the only problem is, I'm not able to shoot a panorama with a nodal point alignment on my tripod, so my best shot at the thing is to align the photo's in photoshop and create a panorama this way.

The remaining thing is to create a sort of inversed sphere in after effects to project it with. And that's the thing I can't get figured out...

I've tried the CC Sphere effect but that's the opposite of what i'm looking out to do. Besides, this creates a 360 degree sphere, while I've only got half.

So, does anybody here know a way in which this could be done? Is this even possible in AE or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance for your kind response.

with kind regards,

Coen

ps
Excuse any spelling / langual errors, I'm from Holland so English isn't my native speaking language.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pan through panorama
on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:38:14 pm

[Coen de Jong] "Either my windows get blown out of my subject (the interior) gets underexposed. I would love to have more details of the room, to make for a much more revealing and interesting shot. "

You need to cut down on the amount of light coming through windows by putting neutral density gels on them or lighting the room interior. Probably both.

I'll let others talk about panoramic shots.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:56:33 pm

there is a multipart tutorial by carl larsen here at the cow that demonstrates how to create a 3d 'backdrop' in after effects from a 360 degree panorama shot. you may be able to adapt his technique to your needs. search 'cube world' in the ae tutorial forum.

you can use cc sphere to do something similar... cc sphere is expecting a layer that is 2x as wide as it is tall, so you'll need to first place your 180 degrees panorama into a comp that is square. with that panorama layer selected, choose layer>transform>fit to comp. then change the comp size to be 2x as wide.

drop that into a new standard sized comp (whatever your standard is) and add the cc sphere effect. in the cc sphere settings, change render to 'inside', set light intensity to 0 and ambient light to 100. adjust the radius to fill the comp and rotate the sphere's y axis (in the cc sphere settings) to create the pan.

you could create a horizontal pan in a similar way with the cc cylinder effect... cc cylinder will work with a 3d comp camera without expressions to map the sphere controls to the comp camera, if that's any advantage for what you are doing. cc cylinder may better match the projection style of how i imagine that you are creating your pan -- taking a series of stills by rotating on a tripod.

you could probably fake all this too, if you don't need the 3d camera, by just animating the panoramic image's horizontal position, or anchor point, or using the offset effect, or transform effect (affecting the anchor point or position settings).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 18, 2010 at 5:03:19 pm

also, cycorefx.com has an effect called 'environment' that will take panoramic images (not sure what projection) and create a 3d 'environment' that will work with a 3c comp camera. i don't think they sell it standalone, i think it's part of their hd effects bundle. but you might check that out too (i'm sure there's a free trial and some samples for their effects).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brignani Hermanos
on Aug 7, 2012 at 12:17:19 am

Hi, this tutorial and solution works great for me!!
I've medium experience producing professional 360 degree virtual tours, and always have the problem for export the panoramas to video in full HD. I had used a software (don't remember, maybe tourweaver) than allowed me to export video but with very poor coding options, and with DVD maximum resolution (very bad quality).
Then in 3D Studio Max using mapping of textures in a sphere i got the problem resolved for a while, and exporting in Full HD, frame by frame and joining later, this gave great quality, but it takes all night sometimes to render some videos!
I try After Effects following this tutorial and the results was great in quality and extremely significantly in the time for rendering video in a few minutes.

Thanks!!!
Tomorrow i'll post some sample videos, in the meantime you can visit my work in http://www.panoramit.com.ar.

Greatings!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:39:12 am

You'll want to take a look at the following script -
http://aescripts.com/pt_panorama/

What the Maya guy did looks similar to Camera Projection in AE. Checkout Digieffects' Camera Projection plugin.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Coen de Jong
on Jan 19, 2010 at 6:41:00 am

Wow guys!

Thanks a lot for all of this great help and information. After reading your responses, I'm sure I will be able to pull it of.

Thanks again!

with kinds regards,

Coen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]