ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE stops rendering the time line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick MortonAE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:11:21 pm

I'm running CS4, latest version, on Snow Leopard. After a few "0" time line renders, it stops. It will render about 3 seconds then start to repeat, regardless of where the render bars are set. Then, after a couple of these, it renders only about 2 frames and repeats these. Then there's an error message "After effects needs at least two frames to render." If I restart AE the problem goes away... for a while... then happens again. Adobe tech says "this is a known issue" with Snow Lepoard. Has anyone else seen this problem? It's more than frustrating, needless to say.

RM

iMac, 27 intel, snow leopard, 3 gigs ram.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:26:17 pm

Have you updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2)? It's required for Snow Leopard.

BTW, I see that you only have 3GB of RAM. That isn't very much. You certainly shouldn't be trying to use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously Multiprocessing. See this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Rick MortonRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 17, 2010 at 6:19:09 pm

Thanks. But it's not just slow. It will render fine a few times, then render only a few seconds. Then render only a couple of frames with that error next. From that point on, I can only get the 2 frames of render when hitting the zero key or selecting Ram Preview from the menu. Doesn't seem that overall ram would be the problem, My iMac is core duo with - sorry - 4 gigs not 3 of ram. Again, when I talked to tech support (in India) they told me this was an issue with Snow Leopard. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2010 at 6:26:38 pm

You didn't answer my question about the update. That was the important part.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2010 at 6:35:50 pm

Yes. I have the latest version of 9.2.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:29:59 pm

My comment about RAM wasn't just to say that it's a small amount: it was a warning to not try to use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. If you do try to use this feature with so little RAM, then there may be problems with memory, as I descibe in the post that I pointed to. You didn't say whether you were or weren't using this feature; but I see problems with people trying to use it inappropropriately several times a day, so I'm just pointing this out.

I don't know about this "known issue" with Snow Leopard. If you don't mind, I'd like to get the case number for your technical support call so that I can follow up with the folks who told you this. My email address is kopriva [at] adobe [dot] com.

Here are the "known issues" that I know about:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/516/cpsid_51667.html

Also, you didn't say whether you were using Mac OSX 10.6.0 or 10.6.2. The latter is recommended. It has a lot of bug fixes.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:35:07 pm

Oh, one more thing, just to check the obvious:

If you have From Current Time set in the Ram Preview options, and you stop the preview with the spacebar (which leaves current-time indicator at the last-played frame), then you can easily end up trying to preview when the current-time indicator is at the end of the composition, and you'll get the message that After Effects needs two or more frames to preview.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2010 at 9:19:00 pm

I'll check that. But again, it works fine... then goes to rendering only about 4 seconds. Then less. Then it starts to repeat at about 2 frames... then I get the error message.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 5:09:09 pm

[Rick Morton] "...then goes to rendering only about 4 seconds. Then less. Then it starts to repeat at about 2 frames... then I get the error message. "

Two more things to check when AE starts going weird on you:
1) make sure you don't use Open GL when rendering -- it's pretty useless, and often harmful.

2) double-check the kind of footage you're using -- highlight it in the project window, and read the info about it at the panel at the top of the window. Then read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin JordanRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:22:48 am

Hey Dave,

Boy that's an interesting piece of info. about the codec's.

Let me ask you something:
We shoot P2 and then Log & Transfer into FCP. Doesn't that process convert to clips to H.264 .mov's? Because a lot of times we use that footage in AE.

If your answer is yes it does, then what another process to get clips off P2 cards into a codec that works?

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, 4TB RAID 5 External, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 20 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin JordanRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:36:58 am

Hey Dave,

Sorry I jumped the gun to quick here. Log & Transfer in FCP brings P2 AVC Intra clips in as ProRes 422 (HQ).

That's not h.264 right?

H.264 codec is down sizing clips say for instance the web.

Reading you comment there perked up my ears and just want to make sure "I" got this right.

thx

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, 4TB RAID 5 External, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 20 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:54:18 pm

[Martin Jordan] " Log & Transfer in FCP brings P2 AVC Intra clips in as ProRes 422 (HQ). That's not h.264 right? "

That is correct. It is not H.264.

Personally, I think ProRes HQ is overkill, and ProRes 422 is just fine. If you prefer to work in the HQ variant, it's your call, and nothing bad will happen.

Oh, except this: ProRes 422 HQ is available only on machines running FCP 7, whereas normal ProRes 422 can be read by just about any Mac... or Windows box, for that matter. Some may not be able to render in that codec, but thy can at least see it. So keep that in mind.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:37:31 pm

I'm using the latest Snow Leopard. This machine is at the office, so I can't give you the specific number.
Here's the case number. We have updated your case #181387200.
I'm not sure about the multiprocessing - I've never turned it on or done anything with it. Didn't know it existed, so whatever the default is is where I am with it.
The original tech guy sent me to the AE guy who put me on hold and came back and said this was a "known issue". That's about all I can tell you. Thanks for your help with this.

Return to posts index

carlos deeRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:29:43 am

im having the same problem with thiw did you ever figure it out? heres what im running on

Mac pro 12 core 2.4ghz 12gb Ram 4TB Solid State CS6 and im running Mac OS 10.6.8 the video card is the ati 5770

I keep getting the need more than 2 frames to do ram preview and when i hit 0 and have the timeline marker at the begining it renders a few frames, I do have some footage later down the timeline and its in prores 422 but ive never had a problem with this before and i dont have alot of pluging or too many things going on in my comp any help???

Return to posts index

carlos deeRe: AE stops rendering the time line
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:33:31 am

I forgot to also add, when i do a render queue and try to render as prores 422 it just goest straight through the timeline and only renders out what i had in the timeline as green everything else that should have also been rendered doesnt render and yes i do have the "b" and "n" set correctly for the in and out points

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]