ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Setup help for a complex photo cube project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim Daire
Setup help for a complex photo cube project
on Jan 17, 2010 at 3:30:39 pm

Hi,

I want to make a complex photo slideshow in which different photos are mapped onto cubes which unfold to show the complete photo and then fold to mix up with other cubes or disappear in 3d space.
I guess this was done in 3D, but I want to emulate the look in After Effects Pseudo 3D:

http://www.vtg.de/v/s/content/55024

Can someone help me with the basic setup? I have done similar stuff with planes and TV screens in which you replace the pictures in Sub-Comps and then work with a basic 3D camera setup like here:

http://www.maxafter.com/flip.htm

My problem is...

1. I need to have a subcomp which divides one photo plane into the necessary pieces for the cube sides on seperate layers.

If I do it by hand its pretty tedious, so I wonder if there is a better possibility.

2. I need to parent the cube sides to each other so they fold into a cube. Can I do this by expressions or do I need to set up a complex parented mesh of Null objects on the cube sides edges to rotate the sides into place?

If someone has a hint on how to simplify the workflow I't be happy to hear it. Thanks for any help in advance,

Karim from Hamburg/Germany

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Setup help for a complex photo cube project
on Jan 18, 2010 at 8:06:39 pm

Just last week, Steve Roberts wrote in this forum about an expression to make a square roll as a square would. I think you could use it in your project. Just search for Steve Roberts and you should find it.

Good luck and have a Jever for me. I can't get it where I live.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 18, 2010 at 9:07:26 pm

Hmm ... I don't think that was me, Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2010 at 9:26:45 pm

Oh. Sorry.

Well, I guess there can't be an overwhelming number of posts in this forum from the past week with the word "expression" or "square" in them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]