ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

colorizing specific pieces of an image?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Ferrancolorizing specific pieces of an image?
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 6:36:59 am

first off, let me apologize, I've uploaded so many questions these past few days, I want to thank every one who has helped me out, you all really are life-savers. Which brings me to yet another question. I have a bunch of black & white hand drawn sketches that have been scanned and brought into After Effects, all I'm really doing is moving them around and doing some basic fades and transitions, simple stuff. But the client is wondering if I can make certain parts of certain images color in, not like someone scribbling them in (not yet, knock on wood!) just simply the color fading up like say where there's a tree fade up green, what would be the fastest way to accomplish this? any ideas? thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: colorizing specific pieces of an image?
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:57:48 am

Since they are stills you could hand color the images in Photoshop. When finished you should have 2 images with identical dimensions. Use a naming convention that will help in identifying the source material in AE. You could add _m to the name for the monochrome images and _c for the color versions. Once you're in AE animate the monochrome version. Duplicate the layer and replace the monochrome image with the color version - alt drag the color file onto the layer name. Then animate the opacity of the color image as needed.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: colorizing specific pieces of an image?
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 12:55:53 pm

Vector Paint effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: colorizing specific pieces of an image?
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:43:45 pm

I'm sorry, but your client has to get his or her act together. These sorts of things should be hashed out BEFORE post work begins.

Because such mid-stream changes mean that you take more time doing the job, either you're going to have to charge the client more for his or her whimsy and lack of preparedness, or you're going to have to eat the additional charges yourself.

No matter what, you'll work longer and harder. The question is whether you get paid for that extra work. How generous are you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charles FerranRe: colorizing specific pieces of an image?
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:49:15 pm

not only that, but I had to cut each individual element out of images scanned into the computer, they should have been given to me cut up already, ridiculous, I hate these guys, obviously can't say who they are but you're right, and I'll be voicing this to them, thanks.

Return to posts index

Martin JordanRe: colorizing specific pieces of an image?
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 11:36:53 pm

Yeah, PS is the best way to go here. Colorize them there and reimport and update in AE.

Save them as PS files preferably in one layer since this is pretty simple as you said.

As far as these mid project changes, I remember reading a little while ago someone started a thread, "Do you use contracts".

It was amazing how many did not. We NEVER do ANY job without having all the "T's" crossed & the "I'S" dotted FIRST and we also always stipulate that if further changes are requested that go outside these terms, time will be kept and billed at "X per hr.".

So I don't care if they change till Christmas, they'll pay for it.

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, RAID Card, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 20 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved