ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble w/masked typing text over another layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
Trouble w/masked typing text over another layer
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:15:07 pm

In a one minute project, I have a 3 second area I want to have simulated writing text by an invisible pen write on top of a .mov file.

I've seen a couple of tutorials on this but they create the text on just a new blank composition or a solid layer. An empty canvas. No other layers underneath it.

I created the writing text by: typing on a new layer, Cntrl click...convert masks from text, did the tracing, key frame adj. etc. It works great.

EXCEPT..when I go back to the composition the text layer is of course masked (you can see the text and it works fine) but everything outside the text is masked therefore white and the .mov layer is now masked out (I guess) so you can't see the .mov layer.

Hope I explained this well enough.

I've tried everything I know to make this mask transparent, or multiplied or something to make this work.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, RAID Card, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 20 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Trouble w/masked typing text over another layer
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:38:02 pm

Go look at the Stroke or Write-On effect you're using. Set it to draw on transparent, not draw on original.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:05:17 pm

Well, using my brush tool to trace I do have it set on Write On as you mentioned. But I don't see anywhere options of "Set it to draw on transparent, not draw on original" in the paint options area.

Is that somewhere else?

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, RAID Card, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:48:45 pm

[Martin Jordan] "Well, using my brush tool to trace I do have it set on Write On as you mentioned."

Wait a minute -- you're using BOTH the brush tool and the Write-On effect? I that right?

The little FX sign, indicating an effect, shows up on the layer's switches section? Plus you're attempting use a paintbrush?

I'm trying to figure what you've got going on, and not having much luck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jan 16, 2010 at 7:58:17 pm

Well, I'm creating this just like the Adobe Total Training shows how to do it.

What I do is use the text tool to type some text. That becomes a layer.Then, Cntrl right click that layer and change it to "Create Masks from text". That becomes and outlines text layer.

Then delete the original text layer. Then, duplicate the text outlines layer. Dbl. click the bottom text outlines layer and that opens that layer. The text is there in outlines. Then, you take the brush tool, pick a color, make sure Write On is selected and start tracing the text as you would write it.

When that's complete, open all the keyframes in that layer and adjust each stroke to write at the speed you want.

Then select the bottom text outlines layer again, hit "M" to bring up all the mask layers and delete them.

Go to the the top Text outlines layer, hit "M" and click just the the first mask layer and check the box for invert.

That all works great by it self. But, when you go back to the main composition, I can't figure out how to have that text work over my .mov file. The text file is all white because of the inverted mask.

Hopefully that's enough info. to explain my dilemma.

Sure would like your thoughts on what other steps I may be missing.

thx

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jan 16, 2010 at 8:20:41 pm

Hey Dave,

I just figured out how to do this.

The process I just mentioned is correct. BUT...the last thing I need to do after I've completed that last step of invert, then I take both text outline layers and precompose them...then set that layer to multiply.

BAM! There is is.

Thanks for your time and your input. I always enjoy your posts and your "sharp" humor from time to time.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]