ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

issue with 3d layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Melnickissue with 3d layers
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:12:59 pm

i have some nest 3d layers and at the highest level I have a camera move - MOST of the frames look correct but some of the frames seems to have glitches. I will try to explain

the lower comp has a bunch of buildings that are built of 4 sided photos put together like a box. the higher comp has that grid of building in it along with lots of other stuff. Then the camera moves through the building grid. Some frames it appears that parts of a couple of buildings move off of where they should be or like a couple of sides are two small. Then a frame or two later its corrects again.

Any ideas what to look for?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: issue with 3d layers
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:34:05 pm

[Seth Melnick] "...i have some nest 3d layers..."

Does this mean, "I have some 3D layers", or does this mean, "I have nested some 3D layers in a precomp"?

There's HUGE difference, so you should clarify. It could very well be the root of your problem.

We eagerly await your reply.

In the meantime, know that if you have ANY kind of 2D layers among your 3D layers, you need to move them because they screw everything up. And turn off Open GL for rendering in AE Preferences, because it does more harm than good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Seth MelnickRe: issue with 3d layers
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:20:26 pm

thanks for the reply - here is what I have

I have an image of a side of a building in a precomp - which is 2d

then I take 4 of those and a roof in another pre comp to make a building - this is 3d and all layers are 3d. (I actually have 6 different versions of this for different buildings)

then I have another pre comp with a grid of the 3d buildings - all layers are 3d

then I have the final comp which has the grid above as well as ground layers (with caustics) - a lot of lights - particular lux (for volumetric lighting)- some video clips placed within the grid

the only 2d layers that I have in the final comp are - a wave map (which isnt visible but used for the caustics) - the particular lux and particular partical effects - tried turning those off to see if that made a difference and it didnt.

if there is anymore info you could use to help id happily give it. thanks again

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:07:18 pm

It sounds like you simply have to use the Collapse Transformations switch on those 3D precomps:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS064964FC-424C-4e5a-A5C3-2160...

When collapse transformations is on, AE treats a nested 3D comp like a 3D object. I don't think any lights in the nested comp work, and cameras definitely don't.

You'll probably end up making a precomp out of the grid and caustics layers to get the effect right. The precomp can then be used as a 3D layer itself.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:07:35 am

I tried everthing here

i separated the 2d layers - then i copied the main comp and removed everything except the grid and camera - I made sure the collapse transformation was on at all level (each pre comp also) - I emptied the cache - and it still glitchs on certain frames - and its a few in a row

interesting if i keyframe the camera position on the problem frames and copy it to a good frame just before - it looks like the bad frame - so its something about the camera position i think

any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: issue with 3d layers
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:10:52 pm

That kinda sounds like an image cache thing if it's only happening for a few frames here and there.
The first thing I do when I start getting glitchy things happening is go to Edit>Purge all. That fixes a lot of problems. If that doesn't do it then quit and restart AE.
If it's still not working then go to the place in the timeline where you are having problems and see if there is something going on in that spot like is that the point where a layer begins or are there keyframes on some layer in that spot?
As Dave mentioned, if you have ANY 2D layers mixed in with 3D layers it can screw things up because 2D layers break the 3D render stack. By that I mean that 3D layers that are separated by a 2D layer are no longer in the same 3D space. It doesn't matter if the 2D layers are just a wave map or if their visibility is turned on or off. They will still break the 3D render stack. So if you have ANY layers that are not 3D they need to be either above or below all of the 3D layers in the timeline and not mixed in with them.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2010 at 2:27:56 am

I tried everthing here

i separated the 2d layers - then i copied the main comp and removed everything except the grid and camera - I made sure the collapse transformation was on at all level (each pre comp also) - I emptied the cache - and it still glitchs on certain frames - and its a few in a row

interesting if i keyframe the camera position on the problem frames and copy it to a good frame just before - it looks like the bad frame - so its something about the camera position i think

any other ideas?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:06:59 pm

[Seth Melnick] "any other ideas? "

Just this common affliction: Open GL does NOT work well in AE, especially with 3D layers. So turn it off for both Previewing and Rendering, and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]