ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faraz MozafarianAfter Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:57:17 pm

Hello,

I am using AE CS3 8.0.2. I do not know much about photoshop but I have been given a PSD from a client that was made with Photoshop CS4. I have made sure that maximize compatibility has been turned on for the file.

However when I import the file it does not include the layers (which I desperately need) it just imports it as a flattened image/single layer. Even when I try to import it as footage, no dialog box even appears asking me which layers I want to import etc...

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:18:59 pm

Faraz,

Im guessing that your PSD is CMYK rather than RBG. If you convert it to RGB in photoshop first it should work.

-Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:08:19 pm

Does the PSD from the client open in your version of Photoshop? Do you need to do a CMYK-RGB conversion? Can you save it in your version of Photoshop... which should then import properly into AE?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Faraz MozafarianRe: After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:40:32 pm

OK. I figured out the problem but now there is a new one. I had to convert the PSD from CMYK to RGB however the was a problem converting the PSD. A dialog box pops up and says "Changing modes will discard some adjustment layers, change mode anyway?" If I hit ok then the image is changed from the original. Some colors are off etc...

However, the change is not too drastic and I could work with the PSD but when I then import it into AE, some layers are distorted, others are missing attributes etc...

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:49:21 pm

I suspect the client's Photoshop document may contain things exclusive to Photoshop CS4. It may be time to get on the phone to the client and request a CS3 version of it, or bite the bullet and upgrade to CS4 yourself.

I hope I'm wrong about this, and I hope someone more knowledgeable about Photoshop chimes in with a more definitive answer: some Photoshop layer styles don't work properly in AE, for instance. How much time do you have?

In the meantime, you could also ask about your predicament on the COW's Photoshop forum.

Wait, wait, wait....

You said that the error message came up after you did the CMYK-RGB conversion, right? Then you get on the phone and request an RGB version of this from the client. AE simply can NOT use CMYK, no matter what version you have. Let the client deal with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Faraz MozafarianRe: After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:15:41 am

I have until Thursday of next week to complete this. It is not essential that i get this to work the way I want I just felt like I could create some interesting effects if I had all the layers intact. I think what i will do now is manually extract the layers I want to use and create separate files for them. I know this will obviously take a lot longer then being able to import the whole PSD but it wil have to work for now. I will try posting this in the photo shop forum as well and see if anyone can help there.

In the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions/ideas, that would be great.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: After Effects Does not Recognize Photoshop Layers
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 2:51:26 pm

Can't you basically do that in PS? Merge/flatten the layers and effects that are being problematic, then convert to RGB. Then import that PSD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]