ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan MoyerUsing true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:33:33 pm

There are lots of tutorials for creating true 3D text in AE using the shatter effect (this is what I'm talking about: http://vimeo.com/4050200), but unfortunately there aren't any (at least that I'm aware of) that how that text behaves differently within AE after that.

My goal here is to create 3D text, apply a texture to it, and have it fall down onto the screen as if it's behind the camera and passes in front of it (like seen at the 1:36 mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znjg7gWa1M)

The problem I'm running into is that if I create it within my comp, I can apply the texture to it but whenever I animate the text the texture stays static so the it gives the illusion that the texture on the text is changing (which is not what I want).

To "stick" the texture to the text, one would normally just create a new comp with the texture applied to the text, and then bring that comp into the working comp. However if I create a separate comp with the 3D text, and then import that entire comp, the text reverts back to 2D after being imported.

Return to posts index

Joey BurnhamRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:58:20 pm

Can't you just make your text really big and then take a still frame of it and animate that? If it's not spinning at all this could work for you.
Joey

Return to posts index

Ryan MoyerRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:12:01 am

I will also be applying effects to the text (a light beam shining around the edge of it).

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:04:43 pm

Why not animate the camera instead of the letters?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:04:14 pm

Actually the camera is the first thing I tried. Even when animating the camera the texture moves around on the text as I zoom on it.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:53:57 am

Wait, how are you applying the texture to the text? In that tutorial you linked to, the texture is applied in the Shatter effect and will not move independently of the letters.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:50:00 am

I've tried various ways of applying the texture to the text. Right now it's set up with the texture layer above the text layer, and for the text layer I'm blending with add, with a track matte of luma.

I've also tried applying the shatter effect to the texture layer instead of the text layer, among a few others.

Return to posts index

chandra hope
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:55:28 pm

oops didnt mean to leave a post here!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:50:21 am

I'm also getting another weird issue with this. The "inside of the text" is falling farther and faster than the "outside" (the edges that make it 3d) of the text.

You can see what I'm talking about here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vcize2

That's all one 3D piece of text, but as you can see the "inside" of the text falls beneath the outside of it, which becomes unattached.

This is using a camera.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:11:46 am

Whatever you tried to attach hasn't come through, but I can guess what's happening. You need to make sure your custom shatter map is a little larger than your letters.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:48:16 am

Here is what I was trying to attach:

For custom shatter map, my only options are to pick a layer. I just picked the text layer itself (which is what was set by default), is that right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:36:35 pm

You wouldn't happen to be trying to render this with Open GL enabled, would you? Open GL screws up a lot of things in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:14:01 pm

I did have openGL enabled, but I've now disabled it and still get the same issue.

I disabled it in preferences->preview, is there somewhere else I should be disabling it as well?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:36:24 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "is there somewhere else I should be disabling it as well?"

Well, yeah! Just in the most crucial spot, that's all! -- WHEN RENDERING. Look in Preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:59:37 pm

When I disable it for previewing, the "separating" issue still happens when previewing, so I'd imagine it would be the same when rendering if I disable it rendering.

I'll double check to make sure when I get a few free minutes later today, but I don't see why it would be different for that if disable for preview doesn't fix it in the preview.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:05:14 pm

No. Don't use youR text layer as the shatter map. Duplicate your text layer, add a stroke to it in the text options, precompose it and use the precomp as the shatter map.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:32:13 pm

Hmmm, when I apply shatter to the precomp the precomp just disappears in my preview window.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:02:45 pm

Using Shatter to produce 3D text is a hack; it's a fun hack but it's still a hack.

if you need extruded text and control over it, you want Zax Invigorator, i think. Never used it myself.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Joey BurnhamRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:06:19 pm

Does taking a still of a hi-res version of the text not work for you? As I said before, if it's not spinning or anything you can just animate the still of your "3D" text.
Joey

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:12:25 pm

As it comes down over the camera I want to see the 3D sides of the text, as if it's one of those shots you see in sci-fi movies where the camera is looking at open space and then a ship flies in slowly from behind the camera, and we see the side of the ship as it crosses.

Also wouldn't the screenshot include the background too, not just the text?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:44:05 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "As it comes down over the camera I want to see the 3D sides of the text"

Oh, then this whole discussion is for nothing. You can't pull this off using Shatter.

You need to buy a plugin that can do actual extrusions. Bogie lists them elsewhere in this thread.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:03:14 pm

Shatter has an extrusion depth, which provides close enough to the effect I'm looking for when I just scrub the timeline for the camera position past the text.

It does more and more seem like this whole "shatter" thing is just too much of a hack to actually apply any real effects to, so I'm going to look around for a demo for that zaxwerks invigorator 3D plugin to see if it's worth the 400 bucks. I've heard some tutorials complaining that the 3D text created in plug-ins loses some stuff as well, but I'll check it out.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Using true 3d text after creating it with the shatter effect
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:20:24 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "I'm going to look around for a demo for that zaxwerks invigorator 3D plugin to see if it's worth the 400 bucks. I've heard some tutorials complaining that the 3D text created in plug-ins loses some stuff as well, but I'll check it out.
"

You've spent more than $400 and certainly received much than that amount in free advice from experts, and the end result was totally predictable.

There is a reason you don't see tons of superb extrusion animation using Shatter as the front end. It does not work that way.

However, what you've learned so far will serve you very well as your project advances. You now know how to apply textures to all the surfaces and how to render pieces as well as the entire frame and how to apply custom Shatter maps. If you can learn how to use grayscales as the drivers for the rest of the controls in Shatter (or Card Dance) you can achieve grand things.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]