ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to create organic fluid lines in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chandra hope
how to create organic fluid lines in after effects
on Jan 14, 2010 at 8:28:01 pm

Hello! I have searched the posts and got a few answers to my questions, but I am still lost on how to create the specific look i want.
I want to create lines that have a fluid organic movement to them. I do have the entire trapcode suite and know basically how to use form and 3d stroke, but I also want to motion track one end of the line to perhaps some text or an object so I am not sure using a plugin will allow for this. One post mentioned using the Hairlines filter from digital anarchy, I do not have this but I wonder if it would be the same as using a trapcode plugin. Will I be able to motion track the ends and have control of it? or should I be looking for an expression to create this look? (I already found great expressions for the motion tracking part)

here are some examples of Lines I like:

(the blk lines that attach to the text)

( I think these are just curved lines motion tracked to the words, but still kinda the idea except I want the lines to move more)

Ok here is a piece i LOVE and would like to figure this out

I think the first video is the closest to what I want. But i will be using thin white lines to then motion track to other objects. ANy advice on how to get the curvy organic feel? I want everything in my scene to move organically like these peices, my lines and text.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: how to create organic fluid lines in after effects
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:11:35 pm

I don't have access to Vimeo behind the government firewall/blocker thingy where I'm working, so unfortunately, I can't see your examples. However, I can link you to some tutorials that might point you in the right direction. This one, this one, this one, and this one.
Have fun.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:28:24 pm

first of I would like to say thanks for the response, very cool of you!
Unfortunately that is not really what I am looking for. I have done all those tutorials in the past and love them, I am quite a fan of Video Copilot!
My design idea is probably a bit more original so maybe not too many tutorials for my exact idea. But the concept is basically Lines being drawn (thin white lines)the lines will then have words motion tracked to them. they will be in diffrent positions in 3D space and i want constant organic movement in the lines, I don't mind keeping them straight, but some curve would be fun. like in the vimeo spot I posted that you can't see lol.
here is a web site that is close to what I am talking about (the web design not the projects on the site), I want to re-create this in AE for my design concept.

http://www.yuco.com (can you view this??)

thanks!!

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:57:39 pm

also: My next thought is to maybe use 3D stroke or form to create a few different variations of a line moving, put the anchor point at the tip of one line and motion track to the asterisk, the create a word and motion track that to the other end oft he line. This may do the job (except not sure how accurate the track will be), but i was wondering if anyone might have any other ideas on how to create this look, maybe there is a better way I am not thinking of? I do not have a large expression library so maybe someone might know of one that would work better? any thoughts???

(the effect I am trying to create sort of: http://www.yuco.com )

thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:05:40 am

I'm off work now and I'm at home now so I can see the Vimeo stuff. And I see where mine is not what you wanted. When you said organic I was thinking natural, flowing, etc. Not just sorta wiggling a bit. You said straight would be okay and straight and organic do not go together in my mind, but now I understand what you're after.

I'm guessing you want to be able to fly the camera around the comp? If not, you could fake it with Generate>Beam for a line with perspective and use some distortion effect it to get the bending. You wouldn't have to do any motion tracking for the text because Beam's start and end points are specified in the effect. (Of course, if you're not careful, your distortion effect could move it...)

If you must have the camera moving around it all, you could create the lines with Trapcode's Particular (move the emitter over the path you want the line to go and with 0 velocity, wind and gravity) and use the turbulence field to give the line organic movement.
If you don't want to have to matchmove the text to follow the line's end by hand, you could always keyframe the particle color at the very last particle(s) to be a wildly different color from the rest. Track that dot of color (from a front on view) to get your x and y data for the text, then all you have to do is make sure the z is correct. (Don't forget to change your particle's color back.)

Of course, you could also get a proper 3d program...

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:06:39 am

Gosh dang it; I'm an idiot. You could also track the funny colored particle from a top view to get your z data. (moron!) THEN change it back to normal.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:17:48 pm

Can you draw the motion paths, bezier, and then track them using a light as an emitter in Particular? I've had some success with this. Although this is pretty much what Andrew teaches, just with a more dramatic streak and random movement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]