ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering = color problems. Washed out.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dirk D. LopezRendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 9:26:24 pm

Hello, my colors look perfect when I am animating and previewing in After Effects CS3, but as soon as I render the comp out, the colors change and wash out my animations. To some it may seem subtle but to me its really annoying.

I have already tried: turning on/off color management, trash my preferences, render with animation codec and JPEG sequence, and changing the comps from 8, 16, 32. Nothing seems to work. Whats going on?

Sample of whats going on (the top is correct, the bottom is washed out):

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:01:31 pm

Working with Quicktime? While the following isn't exactly the most scintillating read in the world, you really should check it out:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS44E9CED2-117D-4c19-879E-D553...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dirk D. LopezRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 7:46:57 pm

Dave, thanks for the link to that article. It did seem to help. Basically what it led me to do was use Color Management in AFX upon rendering. I tried out a few different options: HDTV, Apple, Adobe, etc… and it seems to be closer to the original than the Animation codec left alone.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:00:08 pm

not sure if this helps, but it appears that you have an extremely subtle radial blend in the background. Those type of subtle blends ten to be more difficult to get smoooth. Notice in the top image there is some banding and an attempt at a blend. The bottom image seems to have 'given up' on even trying to replicate that blend and is just a lighter solid grey. The key lies in that blend and if you truly need it or not. Otherwise, a higher bit depth should help. Its so subltle I might just eliminate it.

Hope my observation helps some....

Scott

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Dean SensuiRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:28:28 am

I don't know if you're working on a Mac but this is what I do:

-- Go into Project Settings.
-- Set "Working Space" to "none".
-- "Linearize Working Space" is "off".
-- "Blend colors using 1.0 Gamma" and "Match Legacy After Effects QuickTime Gamma Adjustments" are "on".

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Dirk D. LopezRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:30:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! Unfortunately none of the worked for me.

But I did try export through the ProRes codec and it worked great. Not sure why though considering, at least I thought, that the Animation Codec was the highest quality. Anyways ProRes will work, until I'm screwed and need to render out a clip with an alpha channel since its not supported with the ProRes Codec.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:40:15 pm

Oh, I don't know about that.

Apple recently -- within the last couple of years, that is -- standardized on a new gamma setting for Quicktime. The Animation codec, being as old as the hills in Quicktime terms, used the old gamma setting. You change the gamma setting, and life is good.

It should all have been in the link I provided previously in this thread.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James DillonRe: Rendering = color problems. Washed out.
by on Nov 27, 2015 at 10:52:38 am

Can you please tell what exactly need to be done if there is a lot of colors mismatching after rendering from After Effects.
I have tried to render a composition with many different settings and I have even adjusted the project settings like gamma and all but seems that nothing is working right now for me .
I look forward for your reply . Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]