ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animation frame rates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich RubaschAnimation frame rates
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 9:03:34 pm

Hi guys; If we create 12 fps animations in AE (line drawings animated) then bring those into a 23.98 fps output and edit in FCP at 23.98 and finally output to tape at 29/97 for NTSC TV station dubs (standard def Beta) Should we actually be setting up 11.99 fps comps in AE, which is exactly half of 23.98 to keep everything NTSC safe? In other words can we work in 12 fps comps for a 23.98 final, or do you guys actually set up comps at 11.99, which is half of 23.98?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animation frame rates
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 9:43:45 pm

I think you're in for trouble with that frame rate, because when it comes to frame rates, AE doesn't fool around -- it calls a spade a spade, so you have to use the actual frame rate.

The actual NTSC film frame rate is NOT 23.98, it is 23.976. 23.98 is just a nickname used by the makers of cameras and edit software. Why do they do that? Beats me, it just adds to the frame rate confusion, and things are confusing enough already.

So if you animate at 11.988, -- or animate at 12, and conform the footage to 11.988 -- then render the footage in a 23.976 AE comp, you should be able to use it with no problems in a 23.98 (there's that nickname again!) NLE timeline. Any good capture card can add the 3:2 pulldown to go to Beta.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Animation frame rates
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:25:34 pm

I know you're trying to say a bit of money but the last project I did using hand-drawn cels for animation, we had so much trouble with the translation from film frame rates to video that we ended up simply biting theexpense and created the piece on-2s at a base frame rate of 30, 15 images per second. On the 120 second piece, that meant we had to draw 1,800 instad of 1,440 cels (not really that big a deal on my project, your mileage and accountanting practices will vary). This actually had huge upsides: the motion was far smoother and it eliminated ALL of the format interpolation headaches.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Animation frame rates
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 2:23:26 am

You know ... it sounds like this: if you're going to film, do twos at 24fps. If you're going to video, do twos at 30fps. I think I've heard that before. Unless you have a budget issue ... but there may be headaches.

So I agree with David.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved