ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE keeps crashing at render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas MooijAE keeps crashing at render
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 6:17:28 am

Ok im getting crazy,

AE keeps crashing when I render a comp (There is a large camera movenment in z space).

-I think its the "classical problem" where the RAM buffer cobstantly pushes over 60%..

-I have tried the secret prefs to with different frame purging settings, even purge every 1 frame.

- I have disabled opngl rendering..

What can I do? (What are the recommended settings for me now in the prefs /secret prefs settings? I.E.:
- how much ram shoudl i leave for other progs?
- Should i use multiprocessing? if so what should min allocation be per CPU?
- Does it make any difference if I change the RAM preview / faster rendeing slider?)

My specs:

-Win7 64
-12 gig ram
-Intel i7 quad core

Help very much appreciated, so hopefully i can meet my deadline in one day.. YIKES!!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE keeps crashing at render
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:02:41 pm

Try rendering using "Multi-machine Settings" for your Render Settings and any image sequence for your output module ("Multi-machine Sequence" will do). This will allow you to pick up your render where it left off if AE crashes.

If it continues to crash on the same frame every time, you can start troubleshooting.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE keeps crashing at render
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:40:35 pm

Since you don't say what kind of footage you're using in that comp, we have to get that issue out of the way:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rolando GuajardoRe: AE keeps crashing at render
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 9:35:57 pm

Dave - could this be my problem too. I've been very frustrated trying to get anything out of After Effects. I just got a new iMac (Quad Core, 2.8 Intel i7, 8GB ram). Thought it could handle this stuff.

In my case, I've exported some footage as a "QuickTime Movie" from FCP and imported into AE. (Wasn't sure if my footage was originally h.264 or not, from Panasonic HMC-150). So just in case the codec was a problem, I exported my cut sequence from FCP as ApplePro Res LT. And I've got that in the AE Composition (43 seconds long) and it seemed to be working but crashes when it's almost done exporting (1236/1303). Ah! What's going on?!

Rolando

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE keeps crashing at render
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:28:23 pm

[Rolando Guajardo] "I exported my cut sequence from FCP as ApplePro Res LT"

Did you export with quicktime conversion? You have to select that. If you're sure you got it right, you might also try it with regular ProRes.

[Rolando Guajardo] "And I've got that in the AE Composition"

When you click on the footage in the project window, what does AE say the codec is? Is there any footage in the project you may have missed?

[Rolando Guajardo] "Ah! What's going on?! "

If you've enabled Open GL for rendering, turn it off and keep it off. It's a common source of woes when rendering.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]