ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scrolling Text for a Ticker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Schwab
Scrolling Text for a Ticker
on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:33:52 pm

Hello,

I want to create scrolling text for a fake news ticker. My solution was to merely type out the text on a text layer, and using keyframes, adjust the position to have it move across the screen.

My problem came when I wanted to loop it. I used the expression 'loopOut' and 'cycle'. However, it would only loop when the text was done scrolling off of the page. I want it to continuously scroll and repeat the text, without there being a space.

I know that I could use different layers, or perhaps just make a really huge text box, but is there a way to do this using expressions? Have it loop back at a certain position?

Also, is there a far easier way to do this than to use 'position'? It's kind of gimmicky, having text scroll. I know plenty of programs that can just do it automatically (simply scrolls what you've typed). I want to use After Effects though as I have a lot of other graphic elements that I would like to add.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Scrolling Text for a Ticker
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:13:36 pm

Look into making an extremely wide and extremely short comp for that text. Place it in your main comp, apply the Offset effect, and see the magic that ensues.

Here, read up on it -- take three minutes and make your life easier:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Schwab
on Jan 13, 2010 at 4:17:40 pm

That worked beautifully. Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Bark
on May 25, 2010 at 9:00:37 pm

I don't get it. I'm probably missing something basic, but the Offset doesn't repeat the text.

Comp one is long and short, with the text in it. I can animate the Comp 1 offset in Comp 2, and the text will crawl, but it doesn't repeat. Do I need to make multiple duplicates of the Comp? Then line them up back to back in the timeline?

Or,

Am I typing all the text, then pasting it back to back in comp 1 for as long as many times as I need it to crawl across the screen?

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 25, 2010 at 9:06:02 pm

Make comp 1 as wide as necessary to accommodate the text, with a little extra on either end.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Bark
on May 26, 2010 at 12:21:21 am

OK, I think I've got what you're saying, and I'll apologize in advance if I'm misreading this. Here's the process as I understand it:

Make a comp, super wide not very tall, in which the text will reside. In this comp, type your text. Then, copy and paste that text at the end of itself, making as many copies as you estimate are necessary to cover the time you want the text to crawl across the screen.

(So, if my text was: "We have a very special announcement coming up. Stay tuned for details." I would probably have that text situated about 10 times (or whatever) in comp 1.)

Then I drop comp 1 into Comp 2, place it so the left side of Comp 1 slightly overlaps the left side of Comp 2, add Offset, and animate the offset center. The effect is basically the same of animating the position of Comp 1, this is just easier, right?

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 26, 2010 at 2:56:00 pm

Here's what I'd do, based on what you write above:
  • Make a comp, wide enough to accommodate the text but not very tall, in which the text will reside. In this comp, type your text just ONCE: "We have a very special announcement coming up. Stay tuned for details." This comp should be wider than your main comp, so you might have to copy & paste the text once or more in certain cases.
  • Drop Comp 1 into Comp 2, CENTERED HORIZONTALLY, and positioned in the lower-third, and apply Offset.
  • Animate the horizontal property of the offset. If you need to, animate an opacity change to fade up on the text, since it will already be there. If you've left enough space at both right and left ends of Comp 1, you'll have a proper gap between the beginning and the end of the offset.

Works like a charm, and it's really dead simple.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:52:45 pm

Thanks for shining a light on the Offset effect, Dave.

That's just what I needed.

-Michael

Avid Media Composer 7 (HP Z400 Workstation: Windows 7 64-bit; Intel Xeon 6 Core W3680 CPU; 6 GB RAM); Adobe CS6 Production Premium and Adobe CC; DepthQ Stereoscopic; Digital Rapids StreamZHD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]