ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Issues with imported 59.94 footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon SmithIssues with imported 59.94 footage
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:31:55 pm

I'm having issues whenever I import 59.94 footage into AE. It duplicates the first frame and cuts off the last frame. In Quicktime the footage appears fine.

It seems to only occur in footage I've rendered from AE. It happens with both Animation and ProRes, I haven't tried anything else. Any ideas?

I'm using AE 8.0.2.27

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Issues with imported 59.94 footage
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:46:39 pm

What's the resolution on this footage? 720? 1080? If it's 720, it may actually be progressive scan.

But if it's 1080, it's probably NOT progressive, but interlaced (upper field first), and you have to treat it as such throughout the entire process, including FCP.

Okay, it COULD be 1080P 59.94, but the camera would have cost as much as a small house... and I doubt that's true. It's far more likely that you shot thinking it was 1080P, but it's actually 1080i 29.97 PSF, which stands for Progressive Segmented Frame... little more than a fancy way of saying "interlaced".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon SmithRe: Issues with imported 59.94 footage
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:01:17 pm

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the source footage or resolution.

I just did a test where I rendered out a 10 frame sequence, just a solid with the number effect labeling the frames 1 thru 10. In quicktime each frame is accounted for. When I bring that rendered quicktime into AE and drop it into a comp, It makes a 10 frame sequence but goes 1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. I tried it both at 720 and 1080.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Issues with imported 59.94 footage
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:58:29 pm

Usually this kind of silliness happens on footage that was captured in an HDV acquisition codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]