ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ej hassenfratzBest inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:54:41 am

Looking for a handheld HD camcorder that can be useful for motion tracking and light greenscreen work. something that i can just have to start learning those techniques but still have a good looking product. i know the Canon HV20's have been highly regarded but just wanted to see what some of the more experienced pros have to say on the subject. Thanks!

--------------------------

ej.hassenfratz
senior.graphic.designer
wjla-nc8/eyedesyn.com
washington.dc

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 1:45:01 pm

If you want to do greenscreen, then avoid HDV or DV cameras. Search the forum - its been discussed many times.
The cameras simply do not record enough colour data for useful keying.

However, some HDV/DV cameras have an hd/sdi output that you can record from, and that sends a clean signal (ie, before it has been compressed for the record to tape). If you have a decent video capture card (or a digibeta deck) then you could record direct to those and have high quality and usable footage.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:12:35 pm

Do what Adam Taylor says. He is correct on all counts. There is no miracle camera to do what you seek, only a workaround... and Adam describes it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:38:53 pm

One thing to add: some cameras have HDMI outputs, which are just as good as HD-SDI. You simply need to find something that will accept HDMI input, like the relatively new AJA I/O box. Yeah, it's an additional expense, but considering you get color resolution that's as good as your editor can capture, that's not bad. Not one bit.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:23:29 pm

Cool!
Just checked and the camera here has HDMI output. Really want to give that a try!!!

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:49:09 pm

Well, that's great, but remember -- you need a capture card that has an HDMI INPUT. You got one of those?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:29:37 pm

No... not yet (although I don't know whether it's worth getting one just to play around with it. Might come in handy in the future!)

I did see a "Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR PCI Express Video Capture Card"
for $98!

I've only recently learnt about this 4:2:2 ..compression. So I'm really curious to what result I can get. Maybe the camera's manual holds that answer - or would it be a combination of the camera and the capture card?

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:12:19 am

[Anders Hattne] "I did see a "Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR PCI Express Video Capture Card"
for $98! "

If you intend to use this in work for paying customers, just remember: you usually get what you pay for, and that isn't much at all. Get the message?

If this is for an intellectual exercise or a school project, it may be just fine.

No matter which, it STILL wouldn't hurt to check out the AJA web site before you get this gizmo.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

ej hassenfratzRe: Best inexpensive prosumer HD camera for motion tracking/greenscreen work
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:36:06 am

thanks so much for the input and advice!

maybe i should just start with a camera that is suitable enough for some 3d motion tracking? is an HDV cam good enough or am i going to run into the same quality issues as discussed about the greenscreen? probably not, right considering 3d motion tracking really doesn't need perfect color information, just spacial data and sharp reproduction.

--------------------------

ej.hassenfratz
senior.graphic.designer
wjla-nc8/eyedesyn.com
washington.dc

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:49:26 pm

Tell you what: BORROW an HDV camera: somebody you know has GOT to have one. Shoot some test video around work and try your 3D tracking. See if it's worth buying before you buy one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]