ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects + Adobe Media Encoder + Flash = Most Random File Sizes Ever

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe RaskAfter Effects + Adobe Media Encoder + Flash = Most Random File Sizes Ever
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 11:07:26 pm

Asking this question in this AE forum because I think more would have knowledge on the topic here than the Flash Forum.

I've heard that video compression is more of an art than a science... Could someone provide me some insight on the following?

-All software = CS4
-Created a 12 second, 30 FPS, 300x250 banner animation inside of After Effects
-Export FLV to be placed inside of a 300x250 .FLA, On2VP6 codec- 250 bitrate VBR.
-Comps rendered directly from Adobe Media Encoder standalone instead of Render Queue in AE (for 2 pass .FLV's, and heard from various that .FLV's from render queue are not the prettiest at times).

I've always been under the impression that I would get smaller file sizes with SWF's externally linking to an FLV. If I do it this way, I end up with:

41 KB .SWF + 668 KB .FLV = 709 KB total

However, if I EMBED the same 668 KB .FLV to the FLA's timeline (not using the flvPlayback component) I end up with a 381 KB file size!

I am just confused on the logic here, could someone explain the reasons for this? I always thought my file size would be bigger if it was embedded to the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved