ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS4, or wait?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt ZeherCS4, or wait?
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:10:40 pm

Not really an After Effects-specific question, as COW doesn't seem to have a general Adobe forum, though AE is the program I'll be using most.

Currently a university student, graduating in a few months. I'd like to snag a copy of the CS4 Production Premium package while I can still take advantage of the student discount. Thing is, I here CS5 is right around the corner, so I can't decide whether to wait or not. By the time CS5 comes out, I'll no longer be a student, and will probably have to pay full price.

So, a two-part question: Is CS5 worth the wait and the extra price? Or, would I be better off getting CS4 now, and then just paying for the upgrade cost whenever I feel would be a good time? Currently, I'm running AE 7 on a four-year-old machine, so I'm badly in need of an upgrade and a new system once I can afford it.

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: CS4, or wait?
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:56:42 pm

if you have the student option, then use it whilst you can, then upgrade as and when its feasible.

my 2p.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS4, or wait?
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:24:41 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, the education version can't be upgraded. I might be mistaken, since the details of licenses are not my area. Be sure to check the details yourself.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: CS4, or wait?
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 12:50:18 am

I have looked into the educational licensing a few times, for myself and also to show others in arguments :)

I don't know about now, but a few years ago, there were EDUCATIONAL licenses and ACADEMIC licenses. They were both available to students but with a big difference. The education version was dirt cheap, but could not be used for commercial work and couldn't be upgraded to a full version, but the academic could. The academic was still a great price (about 30% of the real one i think) and since it could be used commercially and also later upgraded, it is a great option for students. If I were you, this is the one I would go for. You may decide it will be acceptable to use for a while, then upgrade to CS5 or CS6 or whatever later.

There is info on this somewhere on the Adobe website but I remember it being quite difficult and frustrating to find.

Also I think CS5 will be 64bit only, which will be great for those with 64bit systems (and may be worth the upgrade price alone) and useless for those without... in case that also influences you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved