ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lip-Synching...need help!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jannik BußLip-Synching...need help!
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:54:31 pm

I'm making a little cartoon and stucked by the lip-synching.
This( is a great tutorial but for my cartoon it's just too much work. =/
"Ian Tomey" postet this:
"Great technique, though selecting each key frame is a pain, so I've built a program to convert your text to keyframes, you just paste them into AE."

...which is 100% what i'm searching for!
BUT the site is down!
My question: Knows someone about this "little program" or could rewrite it?
(or could give me his e-mail-adress so I could e-mail him?)

Return to posts index

Joe RaskRe: Lip-Synching...need help!
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 11:19:18 pm

I have no idea what your project looks like, or what that CartoonHelper website was all about. However, it sounds like maybe Sound Keys should do the trick:

Click on "video tutorials" link, very good to learn how to use the plugin.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lip-Synching...need help!
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 11:32:36 pm

[Jannik Buß] "Ian Tomey posted this: "Great technique, though selecting each key frame is a pain, so I've built a program to convert your text to keyframes, you just paste them into AE.""

Oh, for heaven's sake. You're like a drowning man grasping at straws.

I suppose this magic program can tell you which shape the mouth makes when you say the word "polish" and when you say the word "Polish". I suppose it would put these magic mouth shape keyframes in sync with the audio, too. Good luck with that!

Please keep in mind that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually IS too good to be true. Could there be a reason why that web page is no longer there? Could it be that this miracle program didn't work?

Aharon's technique is simple cutting and pasting... and you KNOW you get the right shape of the mouth. Just be glad you don't have to move the mouth frame by frame.

Get busy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank PeetersRe: Lip-Synching...need help!
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:21:35 am

Hi Jannik,

Fortunately I don't share the stupid sarcasm of Dave LaRonde (come on, please keep your comments for yourself if you never used the program), as I actually used the software, and it worked perfectly to the extent Ian explained.

It used a phonetics library which converted written text to mouth shapes, which you could then paste as keyframes into your timeline in combination with a recorded waveform. It didn't put the keyframes at the exact time of your recorded text, but it beats setting each mouth shape by hand. You needed to make a library of mouth shapes though (which wasn't too hard). I have made a South Park style animation which took 10% of the time it would take if I needed to do it manually. That's not a wonder program (Yea, I'm looking at you David), but it sure helps you save time.

The problem is ... I somehow presumed this program would stay available on the net (lesson learned), and Ian Tomey has dissappeared from the earth somehow. I tried his website, even looked up his whois information, but none of the contact details listed work.

If someone has a copy of the program - it'd be so cool if you could post it somewhere. I have been looking for it for months, so now I'm in the progress of harrassing anyone who could help me :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved