ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis DarbyAE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 5:31:04 pm

Following on from my recent post I have made some kind of progress but now have some new problems that I need help with.

Basically I managed to make the grainy/pixelated patch disappear by switching the color depth to 32 bits per channel. With 8 and 16 it is still there.

Unfortunately this then leaves me with a new problem, which is that some of the effects I am using only support 8 or 16 bit per channel color.... and I get a red cross across my screen.

Another things that I should have pointed out before was that my projects are HD. It seems that if I create a simple SD project with a 3D layer and a camera and turn on the DOF, the image is fine. But if I set up the same thing in HD I get the glitch.

Taking these things into consideration, can anyone think how I can can resolve this problem for good?

Many thanks,

- Lewis

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:45:14 pm

Can you tell us a way to replicate your problem? Because I do HD work all the time and have never noticed that particular glitch. You said you set up a very simple 3-D project and it was still there, can you tell us what the particular setup was for that simple composition?

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Lewis DarbyRe: AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:51:49 pm

Hi Antony,

I'm managing to work round the problem with 32bpc but I get the impression this shouldn't be happening if it's 8bpc or 32bpc...

Here's my process;

I create a composition;

'HDTV 1080 25'

square pixels

I create a blue solid;

600x600 pixels

Make it 3D then rotate X axis -90

Solid position is as follows;

1289.0 , 540.0 , 1653.0

I add a 35mm camera and turn off auto-orientation

Camera settings are as follows;

Position: 1298.7 , 321.0 , 1002.4
Orientation: 333.0 , 359.1 , 359.5

Zoom: 1866.7 pixels (54.4)
Focus Distance: 500.0
Aperture: 50.0
Blur Level: 150%

This project is at 8bpc but if it's changed to 32bpc the glitch goes away.

Open GL is off but there is no change whether it is on or off.

Hope I haven't gone into too much detail but I thought I'd make my process clear in case I'm making some basic errors.

I've attached a screen shot of what I see when I set this up. I'm zoomed in 100% so hopefully you can see that weird patch. It's very faint but right across the middle.

Many thanks,

- Lewis

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:10:33 am

Hi Lewis

I've tried to reproduce your problem but I can't. Everything seems to be working as it should be, I put a bit of Turbulent Noise on the blue solid, precomposed it and then split the comp window into two. One with the camera view, the other with a 'top' view. This way I could see the (pink) line of focus distance move as I scrolled the numbers. The results were in line with what I would expect. As I move the focus distance different parts of the solid come into focus. I can't see any sign of your glitch, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. If you want the project I set up to test on your machine, just e-mail me. Maybe others can reproduce your problem.

Good luck.

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Layne HaackeRe: AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:28:02 pm

I've encountered the same problem on multiple machines. The 32 bit thing works to fix it, but some plugins don't work with 32 bit so I'm still looking for another solution.
I hopefully added a pic of what it looks like.

Return to posts index

Paul GaleRe: AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 7:33:42 am

Anyone got a solution to this yet?

I'm seeing exactly the same problem - working in 32bit at the moment to work around it.

Paul Gale
Silicon Pixel Ltd

Return to posts index

Elad PrimoRe: AE CS4 Depth of field glitch Part 2
by on May 19, 2010 at 6:56:21 pm

Easy man.... had that problem before

in Adobe Master Collection CS4

load premiere ---> in premiere go to File ---> dynemic link ---> import after effects composition -----> search & import your file ---> then export your AE squence from Premiere and it will work with NO depth of filed lines at all!

any qustions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved