ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Optimising AE CS4 with 8 core Mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon robsonOptimising AE CS4 with 8 core Mac
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 12:15:07 pm

I'm setting up AE CS4 with a Mac dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core running OSX 10.6

I've heard that there's a way of customising AE prefs to make the most of the 8-core processors. I tracked down this post on 'cow'.
Kevin Camp says that in the preference file you should:

3. Find the ['MP'] section.
4. Change the "MaxNumberOfProcesses" value to "5". I'm choosing 5 to give you a full 2gb of ram for each core.

Now in the file, 'Adobe After Effects 9.0 Prefs.txt' on my Mac I cannot find the 'MP' section, nor "MaxNumberOfProcesses". I can find the "["New MP"]" section, but this does not have a "MaxNumberOfProcesses" line.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Optimising AE CS4 with 8 core Mac
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:25:35 pm

The post of Kevin's that you refer to was for After Effects CS3. Things have changed to make using these settings much easier.

One thing that makes questions like this very difficult to answer is that optimization depends on each project---actually even on each stage of each project. If there were one perfect set of settings, then these settings would be hard-coded into the software instead of exposed to you as preferences.

That said, the first thing to do is to make sure that you allocate adequate RAM to each After Effects process. Read this post for more details about that. That post also points to the definitive pages about the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences and improving performance in After Effects.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

simon robsonRe: Optimising AE CS4 with 8 core Mac
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:36:14 pm

Thanks Todd,
Yes, I've seen this page and been through it. I've just acquired an 8-core and am looking to optimise it prior to launching into some comping duties. Once into my comps I'll hit problems and approach them on a case by case basis. But obviously loading it with RAM is my first job.

But if what you're saying is that the prefs tweak mentioned in Kevin's post is no longer needed in CS4, then i guess that's my question answered.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved