ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Time Sampling in Particular, need help!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk SmithTime Sampling in Particular, need help!
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:34:46 pm

I've been looking for how to do this for about an hour now. I watched Aharon Rabinowitz' Binary Transition tutorial and learned about Time Sampling in Form. Well, the same feature applies to Particular, and I'm trying to use it to create a Matrix code effect. Here's what I have so far:

I've got the particles falling no problem, and time sampling from a 36-frame-long composition where each frame is a character from a Matrix font, the time sampling is set to "Random - Still Frame". Now, I know I can set to "Random - Loop" and make the character change, but the problem with that is when you get to the numbers within the loop. The loop goes in order, and my 36 frames are in order from a-z then 0-9, so looping the animation, you see that order.

What I want to know is, is there a way to select a new random frame from the characters precomp every, say, 5 frames? I don't want it to change every frame, that's too often, but every 5 frames would be nice.

ALSO, I'd like the same to apply to the aux system, which is how I've got the trailing particles. I want each aux system particle to be selected at random from the characters precomp, instead of simply taking the form of whatever the parent particle was. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance you any replies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved