ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

160GB SSD and 2 x internal HD's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Mossop160GB SSD and 2 x internal HD's
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 6:54:22 am

First of all - I'd like to thank the contributers for the help on these forums. It's really one of the most professional out there and it makes for a really conducive working environment so thank you.

I have been tinkering with my MBP and have made as many upgrades as I can. Specifically I now have:

MBP 2.6 GHz Intel Core2 Duo
GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Internal HD1 Intel X-25M 160GB SSD
Internal HD2 Western Digital 500GB 5400RPM (in place of my optical drive)

I replaced my optical drive with a 2nd internal HD and with the SSD in place of the original HD both as boot discs the computer is, needless to say, pretty rapid. I have the system files and apps on the SSD and storage on the 500GB. Most apps start within a second or two and it will probably come as no surprise to learn that After Effects is still the longest to open.

My question is with these upgrades what will be the optimum working environment on AE? Should I use the SSD for working on projects or set up the Cache?

Before the upgrades I turned off Multiprocessing and Disc Cache on the advice from reading these forums and it did help with working and rendering. I wonder if my new set up changes this?

I work on fairly intensive HD projects for my business - infographics for putting in presentations for clients (we are an environmental management company)

For example see here:

Any advice or tips would be most welcome. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 160GB SSD and 2 x internal HD's
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 12:21:47 pm

Since you have 4 GB of RAM, I'd still leave multiprocessing off on a MacBook Pro. I'm on a MBP right now, and with only Mac OS X and Safari running, I've already used 1.3 GB of RAM. If you can get your MBP up to 6 or 8 GB of RAM, you might consider turning it back on.

I'm not sure about disk caching with an SSD -- if you try it and see a big improvement, we'd love to hear about it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved