ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slow Motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sterling YoungmanSlow Motion
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:48:14 am

Hello to all,

I shot a video with a 5DM2 camera. Everything at 1/60th shutter speed, and I am wonder what people think is the best method/plug-in to produce slow motion. I am editing in Premiere, but I'm wondering if AE or a plug-in would give better results?

Return to posts index

Eddy RoseRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 6:53:58 am

if you're going to use AE I'd say use time remapping (Layer>Enable Time Remapping)

It's pretty easy one you understand the basics,, there's a really great tutorial by Aharon Rabinowitz that explains it pretty thoroughly. The tutorial is for freeze framing, but it covers slomo as well.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:23:45 pm

AE has several different ways to slow your footage down, and you can check some options to actually make it interpolate information between frames.

However, you will always get much better slow motion if you actually shoot at a higher frame rate. Most American video is 30 frames per second (or 60 interlaced frames). For good slow motion you want 120 fps or higher. Sometimes much higher, depending on what kind of stuff you're shooting and how slow you want it to look.

When you say shot at 1/60th shutter speed I say that was a bad decision. A shutter speed that slow will very likely allow motion blur that will make any slow motion look terrible.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sterling YoungmanRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:32:45 pm

Thanks for your response and your link.

I actually used the Timewarp effect and it looks pretty good.

Of course, I would have shot at a higher frame rate if my camera would have allowed such a thing, but it doesn't.

The video I am making is for the Black Eyed Peas website. I'll post it when it's up.

Return to posts index

Ryan PatersonRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 10:02:10 am

I just did some slo-mo on some pretty bad green-screen footage shot on a D90. I used Time Remapping with Frame Blending (Right Click on the layer--> Time Remapping--> enable time remapping, Frame Blending--> Pixel Motion) and it looked pretty slick. Time Remapping is a little tricky at first but well worth learning, much better results than any of the effects. Basically just make a keyframe and then drag it out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved