ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Render Settings for HD Computer Monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle GentzBest Render Settings for HD Computer Monitor
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:57:12 pm

What i need to know is, what are the best settings for a 1080x1920 Video? What Compressed format that will play smoothly and look good on a 46inch Plasma TV thats hooked up to a computer? Running Windows XP.
H.264 looks milky/Flat and i can see compression artifacts. I tried Animation Quicktime and it looks good but it lags when it plays. The Video is about 4 mins. Lossless is HUGE and it does not play back well.

Please Advise

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kyle GentzRe: Best Render Settings for HD Computer Monitor
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:38:38 pm

Oh, and all my footage has been converted to apple pro res

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: Best Render Settings for HD Computer Monitor
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:39:06 pm

How do you plan to play the video back? That's crucial to know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:46:55 pm

Quicktime or Windows Media Player on a Widnows XP Pro 32bit PC. It was just built 6 months ago. I know its a quad core, 4 gigs of ram and a 512mb Nividia Graphics Card. So its not a slug, but no super computer.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:31:24 pm

HDMI output?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:36:26 pm

Its going through the Grapics card as an DVI then with an adapter to HDMI. I have heard that they send the same signal except that HDMI sends sterio audio.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:47:15 pm

I'd run some tests on the very system you intend to use. They'll be crucial, and that's no bull. You might want to render a 1920x1080 version and a 1280x720 version. Nest the bigger comp into the smaller one to make the second version.

Stick with rendering QT Animation codec, and THEN use something else to convert it to multipass H.264. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:01:49 am

ok but what would be the best settings on the Sorenson Squeeze? i have Version 6 and it gives me nothing more than probems.

Now my problem is that im in an After Effects Forum and my topic is changing, Sigh. . . whelp i guess ill hafta ask them. . .

Return to posts index

Teresa ArcusinRe: Best Render Settings for HD Computer Monitor
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:08:16 pm

hello, sorry to pop up in this discussion.
Question for mr. Dave's LaRonde: I was surfing the site and I wonder if that "Dave's Stock Answer #3: " is a part of a list of... stock answers :D because I found that one (and another one on other thread) very helpfull and if there is such a list I'd like to check it out :) Thanks!

Teresa

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:11:02 pm

[Teresa Arcusin] "...I wonder if that "Dave's Stock Answer #3: " is a part of a list of... stock answers..."

Well, it's a short list. You know on-third of them already. How about the other two?
One has to do with the perils of using HDV and temporally-compressed video in Pre-CS5 versions of AE, and the other has to do with an all-too common comment when shooting -- "We'll fix it in post".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]