ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

footage squished when imported

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Markkula
footage squished when imported
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:09:45 pm

I am shooting on a panasonic HVX to P2 cards in 720 p, and when i import the footage into a composition that is 1280 x 720 the footage appears to be squished in, i have to manuely uncompress it everytime which causes problems when i resize things, any idea on what is happening or how to fix it?

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: footage squished when imported
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:36:37 pm

It's all quite confusing but it's all covered in the extensive online manual for AE. Look up "pixel aspect ratio."

How did you capture the media?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:39:41 pm

While I am always a fan of reading the manual, a quick answer to your dilemma would be to right click on your footage in the project window and choose "interpret footage," then select the popup menu for pixel aspect ratio in the "other options" section at the bottom of the dialogue box.

The default is square pixels, and you need to switch to "HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1.33)" to account for the fact that P2 uses the DVCPRO HD codec, which creates the illusion of 1280 pixels out of 960 real pixels by stretching each pixel out.

Hope that works.

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:54:19 pm

...and you can also drag the footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window. Poof! Instant comp, all set to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:21:59 pm

This makes a few assumptions I refused to make based on the OP's apparent lack of experience and fundamental working knowledge. The task of importing footage direclty into AE, for example, implied in the OP set off my alarm. P2 drom another app might have been processed upstream before it got to AE.

Possibly overly philosphical point, someone working with P2 footage needs to figure this stuff out. Posting a fundamental question here should not be easier or faster than learning how to look it up in the manual.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:10:53 pm

[david bogie] "Posting a fundamental question here should not be easier or faster than learning how to look it up in the manual. "

Point well taken: there would be far fewer people around to help between midnight and 8AM Eastern time in the USA. Learning the manual promotes survival skills.

It also wouldn't hurt to have a mechanism to move a thread to the AE Basics forum, like the FCP folks do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:34:25 pm

Point taken. Thanks.

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>