ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slicing a layer into boxes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james hebert
Slicing a layer into boxes
on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:37:30 pm

Hello everyone. I need to have 196 equal squares in a layer that fade out to a beat. As you would imagine though, that's kind of a pain to make, line up, and fade. Is there a way to make my life easier and slice a layer into a grid so that I dont have to make 196 layers, and then have a script I can easily change the opacity for each? Thank you. -James

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Slicing a layer into boxes
on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:52:07 pm

Would this work for you??

http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_Slicer

Return to posts index

james hebert
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:32:10 pm

that is perfect! thank you. im just a little confused as to why it makes tiny null object in the layer

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:31:54 pm

So you can control all layers with the null if desired.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Cool, Brian.
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:34:50 pm

I would have simply started with Card Dance.
Very slick, Brian. I am in awe of AE scripters.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: David: Check these out
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:54:47 pm

There are some amazingly useful scripts available, I find I'm using many more in my daily workflow, check these out:

http://nabscripts.com/downloads_en.html

Click on the link near the top of the page for nabLIB_v4.0

Return to posts index

james hebert
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:02:37 am

that slicer script works perfectly. Now I have to change the opacity for every single one. They will all be equal levels of fade (ie: 100 down to 0 in about 2 seconds) just one after another. I could just copy and paste the keyframes to each one after the previous box. but again. that is incredibly tedious and annoying. is there any other thing that would make my life easier in this situation or do I have to sit there and paste the keyframes to each one?

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Slicing a layer into boxes control opacity
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:28:14 am

Depending on your needs for layer stacking in the timeline there are a couple of solutions.

1) Place an adjustment layer above these layers and add the Transform Effect and animate opacity.

The issue with this method is that the effect will apply to all layers below the adjustment layer.

2) Add an expression control slider to the null object. Add an opacity expression to the first layer by alt/option clicking on the opacity stopwatch and pick whip it to the slider. Select the opacity property and choose Edit > Copy Expression only then select the remaining layers you wish to affect and paste.
Use the slider to control the opacity of all the layers.

CS4 Example: 462_examplesofopacitycontrol.aep.zip

Or you could nest the Comp in another and control the opacity that way....

Return to posts index

james hebert
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:55:31 am

thank you for that. but unless I'm misunderstanding, that still controls all of the layers whereas I need to control one block at a time to make them fade out one after another. What you just showed me does help with a later part of my project. Here is an example of what im trying to get at. it starts at 46 seconds. im trying to fade out to a different color layer each time so that the color slowly takes take over all of the boxes one at a time

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:11:32 am

Sorry, I misunderstood. Here is an example that uses 2 sliders, one to control the overall opacity and another to control the offset. The layer's number (its index) controls when it responds to the slider.

If you don't want the layers to fade from bottom to top adjust the layer order.

463_opacityandindexcontrol.aep.zip

Return to posts index

james hebert
on Jan 9, 2010 at 4:00:39 am

okay this worked beautifully. But when I try to apply the same thing to another layer all it does is affect the first block in the top right corner. As you can tell im not exactly the best at AE but im trying to learn. thank you for your help so far

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:35:51 pm

Same as the previous example I uploaded, you need to copy the expression from the first layer and paste it to all other layers that you want affected.

To see whether the expression is applied select the layer and press EE (that's E twice) on the keyboard to reveal the expression.

Make sure you have the Null and 2 sliders as in the example I uploaded.

Return to posts index

james hebert
on Jan 9, 2010 at 5:47:25 pm

okay, awesome. except I when I go into edit I cant copy only expression to paste to all the others. tear

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 9, 2010 at 8:33:35 pm

You need to select the opacity property for the layer with the expression then choose Copy Expression Only then paste.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]