ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

P2 media and AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wilcox
P2 media and AE
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:39:42 pm

Perhaps a bit of esoterica, but I am running into this with enough frequency that I thought I'd check here and the P2 forum. Seems that when working with native P2 media, if you open up an existing AE project and you do not have that P2 loaded, AE sometimes randomly assigns P2 clips in the project to ANY P2 media it can find. Sometimes its non associated P2 audio, or other clips. It is becoming more complicated as we have more removable drives full of field footage.

Usually you can just reassign clips from the project window. With P2, it doesn't even keep the same mxf clip names. Really strange and hoping I am missing something basic...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: P2 media and AE
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:56:55 pm

This is why, at least on a Mac, it's always best to use FCP's Log & Transfer function to convert it to DVCPro. I'm clueless about Windows on this score.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:02:57 pm

Dave,

I am on a mac too, and could give Windows cluelessness a run for its money. Just seems like its a file (just like a transcoded file out of L&T). Got to at least be a reason why this is happening.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:14:30 pm

Now mind you, this probably isn't the definitive answer, but the Log & Transfer function takes care of a LOT of the housekeeping associated with P2 cards. For example, you can L&T a shot that spans two P2 cards, but you would have to jump through hoops galore to dope it out for yourself.

I'm lazy. If the machine can do the grunt work and give me good-looking video to use, then I'm all for it. I categorize it the same way as the rear-end differential on a car. There are planetary gears back there that make the axes spin clockwise on one side and counterclockwise on the other side, I don't have a clue how they do it, I just step on the gas & go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:44:16 pm

Dave,

Your analogies always crack me up! But I'm the guy who opens up the diff to see how it works (and hope I can put it back the way I found it before my wife needs the car). Seriously, if Adobe says you can work with native p2 (and I happily do every day, this issue not withstanding) then I guess it seems like this shouldn't be happening, or at least someone should be looking into why it does...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:33:49 pm

Yeah, well, Adobe also says in its marketing propaganda that it supports mp3, HDV and Open GL. If you read the fine print, disclaimers and third-party strewn about, you learn differently.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]