ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DVD and Flash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnsabbath d'urzoDVD and Flash
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:31:51 pm

I am asked to do work on a project that I am going be editing on in Avid 4x3 then bring into After effects to for graphics then to be output to DVD and flash files. They want a full 4x3 video from avid and with enough room on the left side for text (may be lots of text). what would be a good comp, aspect setting in AE for me to work with? we dont want the text to look small when onto dvd or on the next at the end. they want to display the whole 4x3 video in the ae comp with lots of text bullets on the right side of the comp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DVD and Flash
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:48:31 pm

Your limiting factor will be the difference between the 16x9 and 4x3 aspect ratios.

The widest screen you can make on a DVD is 16x9.
The client requires 4x3 video.
Therefore, the only room available for graphics on the side is the difference between the two.

Do you understand why this is so?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzoRe: DVD and Flash
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:32:17 pm

yes and I would like to know how I can do this in ae? i was told from someone to make the ae 853x480 then put the 4x3 video inside and use the extra space for graphics. is this right or is there another way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DVD and Flash
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:54:33 pm

It's easy. I will assume that you are in NTSC-Land, but PAL would work pretty much the same. The key thing to remember that ALL NTSC DVD video is 720x480, widescreen included.
  • Do your 4x3 work in an NTSC DV comp. There's a comp preset for it. It won't turn your work into lousy-looking DV video, but it's the same resolution as a DVD -- 720x480.
  • When done with 4x3, create an NTSC DV Widescreen comp. Again, there's a comp preset for it, it won't turn your work into DV video, but it's the same resolution as a DVD -- 720x480. But the aspect ratio of the pixels is wider than its 4x3 counterpart.
  • Nest the 4x3 comp in the 16x9 comp. Don't worry about mixing pixel aspect ratios, AE knows what to do. Scale the nested comp to fit properly top-to-bottom, then move it horizontally to the proper side.
  • Add your text.

You gain nothing by working in a square-pixel comp or any of that stuff. The limiting factor is DVD resolution, so you might as well work in DVD resolution, right? Since I'm a Mac guy, I'd render out the finished work in Quicktime's PNG codec (not a PNG sequence, mind you), then use Apple's Compressor to convert the file into MPEG2, the ONLY kind of compression you can use with an authored DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzoRe: DVD and Flash
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:29:06 am

ok i will do a test with this tomorrow and let you know how it works out for me. would the previous way that i mentioned in my first post work as well. did anyone do it this way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]