ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotoscoping/Logo Removal techniques

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin GoetzRotoscoping/Logo Removal techniques
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 6:40:48 pm

I'm looking to improve a workflow or even find a new one for some touching up. From time to time we all have to remove an unapproved logo or object. Of course my example might be a finite but I think it sort of touches on an overall issue:

I need to remove a logo from a golf bag in a golf cart moving in and out from under trees. So already there's an issue, a semi blurry object, and changing light conditions/spotty shadows. There's little to sample from so using after effects rubber stamp isn't exactly going to work.

So after giving it some thought I figure the best way would have to be the path of MOST resistance. By hand in photoshop. Now each image I edit can stand on its own. You can probably see where this is going! As I look back at the sequence (60 frames or so) I'm of course getting jittering from frame to frame. I've done my best to touch up hard edges with the blur tool, and smooth out the color so there aren't any splotches.

It doesn't help that I'm not a fine art painter or a matte painter, but I'm wondering if this is an issue that can really only be solved over time with increasing experience in touching up a sequence. It may also even be the case that this really is just a tough piece of footage to use and given time constraints may just have to be cut.

So I guess my question is: what are some ways that people reduce that jitter over the frames to keep a consistent look of where an object used to be.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Rotoscoping/Logo Removal techniques
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:37:56 pm

Motion Track the object to be painted over. Make a layer containing the object which has had the logo painted out. Attach that layer to the track point. Rotoscope that layer to mask out objects which obscure it.

Return to posts index

Tristan NietoRe: Rotoscoping/Logo Removal techniques
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 5:27:20 pm

This might not be the answer you were looking for, but I've never had any success doing the frame-by-frame method for the exact same reason. My Best advice is to go back to AE and try the following.

Motion track the offending logo.

Make a small solid that's big enough to cover it, with a bit of room around.

Draw a mask roughly the shape of the logo and feather it. This'll probably take some keyframing, but if you can track the scale and rotation of the logo as well, this will cut out some of the work.

Chuck a 4 colour gradient filter onto your solid. Look at your video, and pick four points around the logo (but not on it) that reflect the average colour of the Golf Bag. Track these points (or just follow them manually) and then using the expressions sampleImage() expression, set the four colours on the grad filter to equal the colour of those four points on the bag.

After that, find the right transfer mode for the job, match the grain with the match grain effect and you should have something worth looking at. You could probably use this method to get rid of the jumpy jaggedies too, but this method has never let me down. I recently had to remove a girl's earing from a shot:

Hope this helps.

Tristan Nieto
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Mac LanphereRe: Rotoscoping/Logo Removal techniques
by on Aug 31, 2013 at 5:06:59 pm

nice tip Tristan,

I'm wondering if you can just parent your sampling points to the original track, and then add additional position keyframes if necessary, rather than tracking 4 additional points.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved