ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need Help Setting Up Comp to Spin Product

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
Need Help Setting Up Comp to Spin Product
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:09:35 pm

I need a little help setting up a comp to spin 4 products similar to this clip.

I tried the 3D Orbit from Andrew Kramer with Dan Ebbert's Auto Y-Value expression and it didn't seem quite right. I also tried a spinning the camera around a group of product with a parent null but still not quite right.

Maybe I'm going down the right path but just can't get the spacing and camera's zoom setting quite right? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
Re: Need Help Setting Up Comp to Spin Product
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:47:38 pm

Couldn't you just create a null in 3D space, position your product images around it (top view would be handy for this) and parent them to the centre null, then rotate the centre null? Camera position would be up to you, then you could play with camera DOF, etc., to get the look you're after. I'm guessing you'd have to set your product images to auto-orient to camera as they spin around the centre null, as well.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2010 at 6:53:22 pm

• On a big solid, make an ellipse-shaped mask
  • On one hat -- and one hat alone, and NOT in 3D yet -- set a position keyframe.
  • Copy the mask shape and paste it into the hat's position property. You now have a 2-second, elliptical motion path. Drag it out to the time you want.
  • Select all the keyframes and position the motion path in the precise center of the comp.
  • At the stopping points along the path, set position keyframes.
  • Use bezier keyframes and hold keyframes to create the motions and the pauses. You're only worried about getting the timing right. And yes, it still isn't 3D, nor is it in the proper orientation.
  • Happy with the timing? Copy all the position keyframes and paste them onto the end of the existing keyframes. Double-check the timing so it now makes TWO circuits.
  • Make a null object. Poof! It appears dead center in the comp. Not incidentally, it's also in the dead center of the motion path.
  • Turn BOTH layers into 3D. Parent the hat to the null. Rotate the null to make the orientation of the motion right, and move the null back in Z-space until the hat moves properly.
  • Orient the hat at the starting position keyframe until it's right.
  • Duplicate the hat layer as many times as needed.
  • Use the replace footage command to add the remaining hats. They now all move as one.
  • Move the hat layers in time until they're evenly spaced around the ellipse, and the pause keyframes match up in time.

I don't address how to keep the hat layers oriented forward, towards the viewer. I can think of a few ways to do it, I'm tired of typing, and I leave it to you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:00:35 pm

Thanks so much for the help guys. I tried it both ways and wound up retrying what I was doing before.

I've got 4 items placed in a circle (square) around the center mark from the top view. I've got a null spinning a camera with 24mm lens around the whole deal and Dan Ebbert's Auto Y expression. Seems to be working pretty good. I'm not sure what I changed from before but I'll try to remember to post the video when I'm done.

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]