ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle BrodeurRendering in After Effects
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 6:23:19 am

Hello,

I'm using After Effects CS4 and I'm looking for the best way to render video out using the render queue.
The raw footage is AVCHD 1080i(30).

I've used quicktime before but recently after upgrading to CS4 it doesn't seem to work as well. Sometimes it makes the video stutter on a few frames and I do not understand why.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any input on an ideal combination of settings for exporting video of the same dimensions for use in premiere.

P.S. Right now the video I'm exporting is mainly just chroma keyed footage.

Thanks Very Much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09:29 pm

AVCHD is a temporally-compressed codec. I guess I need to add it to the list that follows:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kyle BrodeurRe: ndering in After Effects
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:19:04 pm

Thanls for your answer! What is the best codec to convert my AVCHD video to? And how do I go about doing this keeping the highest quality and dimensions?

Then when I'm finished in a AE how should I render the footage out again keeping the highest quality and dimensions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ndering in After Effects
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:27:21 pm

I'm a Mac guy, so I like Quicktime Movies in either the PNG or Animation codecs. On a windows box? You're on your own.

Likewise, I'd render out in tht PNG or Animation codecs, and let the editing application do any rendering necessary. Otherwise, use something like Apple's Compressor, Quicktime Pro or Adobe Media Encoder to do the conversion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:30:16 pm

I'm on a mac too! Ok so it would be best to convert my avchd footage to quicktime animation or png?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ndering in After Effects
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:46:43 pm

Yup.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:50:47 pm

Great! Ill give it a try when I go home with adobe media encoder and compressor.

Thanks alot .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering in After Effects -- HDV Blows
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:56:07 pm

I se you're trying to chroma key. Don't expect miracles. HDV is just about the absolute WORST thing to use for chroma key shots. The reason: lousy Color Resolution, even worse than DV.

So what's Color Resolution, anyways? Spend 15 minutes and watch this video podcast, where DV plays the role of Bad-Quality Footage:

http://macbreak.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=70596

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kyle GentzRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:14:34 pm

Where could one get all of Dave's Stock Answers?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:29:59 pm

Here. I don't have many, just the most common stuff.

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kyle GentzRe: Rendering in After Effects
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:38:05 pm

Lol, well if you had enough of these you could write a book!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]