ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

paint brush

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Burns
paint brush
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:05:53 pm

I've got a project I'm starting where I want a photo to appear as if it where painted on. I've done it in photoshop but I want to animate it on. I have AE CS4 but only CS2 in Photoshop so I can't animate it in photoshop as I've seen in newer versions. I'm wondering the best way to do this and if I need to create a brush in AE.

Thanks for the help.

Chris- Mn

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: paint brush
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:07:30 am

If I were doing this, I'd create a black solid-color layer and use it as a track matte (luma matte) for the picture. Then I'd paint on the track matte layer with white. The picture will show through in the places where you've painted on the track matte layer with white.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:46:26 am

that's how I thought but how about creating the brush and animating the brush strokes?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:52:01 am

> how about creating the brush and animating the brush strokes?

"Animate and edit brush strokes"

"Paint tools and paint strokes"

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:04:01 am

sorry, I'm just not sure how to create the brush strokes. I just can't figure out how to animate the brush and reveal the layer underneath. Basically I would start with a black layer and paint on white and use the layer as a track matte right? But how do I animate the brush and in what mode do I do it. Write on? Paint brush?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:42:00 am

I finally figured it out. I used the write on effect and painted white on black. I put that layer above the layer I wanted to reveal and set that layers transfer mode to luma matte. The only question I still have is how to create new brushes and save them in the brush pallette? I want to create one that has more of a paint brush feel.

Thanks for your responses

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:23:54 am

> The only question I still have is how to create new brushes and save them in the brush pallette? I want to create one that has more of a paint brush feel.

The brushes in After Effects are quite limited compared to those in Photoshop. In After Effects, all brushes are ellipses. You can change hardness, diameter, and such, but you can't make the custom fancy brushes like in Photoshop.

See "Brushes and the Brushes panel".

Return to posts index

Gary Rader
on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:22:03 am

Now, THAT would be a cool feature! Custome paint brushes in After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]