ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Stuttering" footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Holland"Stuttering" footage
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:03:09 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to make a certain part of footage (including the audio) "stutter" or appear jerky by using After Effects?
Below I have an example from a music video that uses the effect I am trying to achieve. It's at the very start so you won't have to sit through too much.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: "Stuttering" footage
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:13:33 am

You can easily keyframe stuttering motion in AE using The Wiggler ... I'm sure there's an expressions method too, but I'm not the right guy to advise you on expressions.

Figuring out how to do it via a couple keyframes and The Wiggler will be pretty simple so, if you're trying to literally reproduce the effect in the example, it may be more important to note that the entire frame isn't stuttering, which means the singer is a separate plate from the background ... either via chromakeying or rotoscoping ... neither of which are basics territory so you may want to look for tutorials on the subjects.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: "Stuttering" footage
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:00:26 am

To duplicate the look, you wouldn't need to go into AE at all. You could just do this in your NLE by taking little snippets of footage and copying and pasting it over and over.
You could do it in AE with Time remapping, split your layer so each wiggling part is separate and set your Time Remapping keyframes on your little piece and do a loopOut expression to repeat it over and over.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: "Stuttering" footage
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:50:51 pm

I agree with Michael, I'd approach this effect in editing as opposed to doing it in AE. Very easy to do in Final Cut/Vegas/Avid.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Paul HollandRe: "Stuttering" footage
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:52:05 pm

I managed to get the effect I wanted by playing around with the Time Remapping, but thank you guys for your suggestions!

Happy new year

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved